our first review

our first review

Postby Linda Brown » Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:35 am

Here it is folks

http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/49963

What do you think of our first official review?

"Review by: Johnny Mirehiel on May 02, 2011 : (no rating)
Thomas Townsend Brown is the title character of this eminently readable short memoir, penned by his daughter, Linda. Brown was a world class physicist (perhaps most well known for his alleged connection to “the Philadelphia Experiment”) who led a double, or even triple life as a family man, a mild mannered scientist/inventor, and an intelligence agent for a number of American's most secretive 3-letter agencies. Although he tried to maintain some semblance of a normal home life, his peripatetic career often took him away from his small family, sometimes for extended periods of time. And thus the title.
But this is not a story about "Doc Brown." Rather, it is built largely upon the memories and notebooks of his daughter who at one time had served as her father's research assistant, his private secretary and as the archivist of his life and work. Ms. Brown's touching and intimate recollections wend their way from a toddler's earliest memories in the then remote wilds of post-war Hawaii, through her hectic teen years and her early marriage, to this current effort to tell her own, unique story. Along the way we meet her gentle and perceptive mother, her teenage heartthrob, J.D. Garrett, who actually achieves his life-long ambition to become a modern James Bond, her husband, George, an individual coping with things far out of his ken, and a string of characters ranging from flamboyant girlfriends to prominent Generals to well known scientists to high-powered industrialists and covert operatives serving in several of the same clandestine agencies that employed her father. And of course we get to know some of the inner workings and day to day charm, gentility, wit, wisdom and foibles of her genius father.

Those who want inside details about Townsend's Brown's secret research will be disappointed in this book. However, those looking for a well written, heartfelt story should certainly enjoy it.
(reviewed within a month of purchase
Linda Brown
Commander

Re: our first review

Postby Linda Brown » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:41 pm

I thought that was a very nice and positive review !

I was a little discouraged to see the word " disappointed" show up though. Maybe I just hoped that EVEN if people happen to be looking for the " secrets of Townsend Brown technology" that they would still will be able to take enough knowledge away from this little book to still consider it.... not... a disappointment. <g>.

Hey, If we had written a "white paper+ on various lab results.... it would have bored ninety percent of you right off of your chairs and even put me to sleep!... so that was never a goal here! If we had done that..... A handful of scientists might have been dancing in their labs and drinking champagne but that was never our goal..... to inform that handful. I figure armed with some general knowledge they can pretty much figure the rest out for themselves! They are one smart bunch!

I just wanted to let the general public know who Daddy was and give some proper credit to the people who were beside him for all of those tough years. Its only right.

I think that Jan and I did a decent job of that so I am pleased. And I wanted to tell more of JDs story because I thought that he had gotten shortchanged by Pauls version.

And at the other end of it.....I truly believe if he had tried to get more technical that this book would never have gotten printed.

And folks.... the object was to get " out there".

Linda
Linda Brown
Commander

Return to The Goodbye Man - Discussions about Linda's Book