Two Simple but Profound Questions

This forum is limited to password only. To obtain the password, you must be a member and agree to the conditions for access

Two Simple but Profound Questions

Postby Linda Brown » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:05 pm

Here they are

To newcomers.... What was it that interested you enough to prompt you to join this Forum?
And to the rest of us....What is it that keeps you here?

Please consider this before you answer. It means alot to me to hear what you all have to say. Linda
Linda Brown
Commander

Re: Two Simple but Profound Questions

Postby Linda Brown » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:08 pm

Arc was kind enough to send us this message in another thread but it belongs here

by arc ยป Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:13 pm

I am here Linda because you started something important, I am still here because there has been in total three starts, and this carries significance of its own. I am here because this beginning was meant to be and carries a torch for the three phases that all mankind will traverse. You have illuminated something that always was in plain sight, but most just do not see.

I see you standing in the middle of a large runway, pointing to three sets of lights glowing quietly in the dark. Each has a purpose and place of its own. The set on your far left is the runways beginning, these are the lights of the past, they carry what has been and what has been done, the actions of many, the voices of few.

The set you stand beside is for the present, they carry who we are and the plans we make. They illuminate our aspirations and our dreams.

The last set on your righthand side, can only just be seen in the distance and as you look these lights appear to join with the clear star-filled sky. These are the future, these will carry you to places as yet unseen, these have a life of their own and though we are not yet there they tell us that we have hope.

So why am I still here and why do I post?. Because somewhere and indeed everywhere on that runway, from beyond it's beginning and after its end, there is something.. something more than... man. Something that quietly intercedes at times of need, something that has an interest and a quiet quest in the intelligences of this world. I know that you Linda and many others here also respond to that quiet something. It gathers to itself such as it needs from each generation and sows its seeds amongst us to achieve a gradual blend, a harmony of purpose, a change in direction...

arcThe future lays not beneath our feet, but rather beneath the stars.arc
Commander

Private messageE-mail arc
Linda Brown
Commander

Postby Radomir » Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:16 pm

I went looking for wonder.

Spent a couple of years at it. Mapped some interesting territory, proved out a concept or two to my satisfaction and also found some dead ends. Along the way I came across your father's work (thank you, Andrew) and his patents. At a gut level they and the universe they implied just made sense to me. But I specifically decided it wasn't something I had the skill to replicate without killing myself (high voltage, not my forte).

Later I ran into Paul's book--he only had eight of his chapters written at the time. Seemed an interesting project, but I was off in other directions. Almost a year after that, I came back to find half the Paul book in draft, and found the original forum. Hook was set, and I've been "here" ever since. Nothing else is as compelling.

Rose, help me remember the question you asked me that one time: "Have you found ..." and it was something of the same flavor of what Beuchner said "... the place where your deep gladness and the world's deep hunger meet."

This is the best I've distilled it so far, if I can beg your indulgence for imposing it for the third time:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=352&p=6453&hilit=stars#p6453

infinite singing of stars
what better ear?
this simple rock
Radomir
Historian

Postby TheTraveler » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:47 pm

An interesting thought.. indeed.

About four years ago, I was cruising around the internet looking for new information on space travel in the hopes that someone was working to prove that maybe sometime in my lifetime we would conquor the speed of light restrictions. As a young boy I had always dreamed of adventuring in space, and looked to the stars hoping one day to see my dream come to life.

So, one day in my internet wanderings I came across the TTBrown site, and promptly fell down the rabbit hole. The book was still in the hole at that time, and I was immediately captured not by the science, but rather the lives of Mr. Brown and his family. As I read the book and the story about the lives of Linda, Morgan, Twigsnapper and of course Dr. Brown I somehow felt the dreams that I had as a child kindle from the tiny ember that they had become into the roaring fire that consumed me as a youth; and dared to dream once again.

It had been many years since I just sat on the ground looking up at the stars dreaming... it's nice to be back there!
The Traveler
------------
"Not everything that counts can be counted. And not everything that can be counted, counts"
TheTraveler
Chief Petty Officer

Return to The Resolute Archives