Lies in biographies

The further discussions of Science and Technology from T. T. Brown's work through today's breakthroughs and continuing research.

Lies in biographies

Postby Geoff » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:05 pm

During the time that Paul Schatzkin was publishing his “Defying Gravity” draft chapters on-line I enthusiastically talked about this unusual project to a friend. He started reading the chapters and he followed the forum discussions that ensued.

However, having read Chapter 31, "Intrepid," which stated that Sir William Stephenson's "most daring mission during the war was his pursuit and eventual downing of Lothar von Ricthtofen", he sent me a short email:

“I got as far as the bit about Stephenson - sure he was a WW1 'ace' but the bit about Lothar von R is bunkum - on a number of counts. It kind of destroys your faith in the rest.”

Now my friend is an acknowledged aviation expert in his particular field and he’s the author of a number of painstakingly researched aviation reference books, so I knew he would not have written that without being absolutely sure of his facts. Nevertheless, I did my own research and satisfied myself that he was absolutely correct. [1]

Although William Stephenson and Lothar von Ricthtofen were both World War 1 fighter ‘aces’ on opposing sides during WW1, there is not one credible account of these two ‘aces’ engaging in aerial combat against each other.
Indeed the only incredible account (excluding its retelling) appears in the somewhat discredited book, "A Man Called Intrepid," by William Stevenson (no relation), and as my friend said, it’s “bunkum”.

Unfortunately it was this entirely fictitious story - which presumably was intended to ‘puff up’ Sir William Stephenson’s accomplishments - that Paul Schatzkin unwittingly chose to excerpt and paraphrase in his first draft of “Defying Gravity”. The deceit therefore was not Paul Schatzkin’s, for he had, understandably I think, trusted the word of the man who wrote the biography, "A Man Called Intrepid."

And Mr. Schatzkin is not alone in unwittingly perpetuating this lie. Yesterday I discovered that Ben Macintyre has written: “William Stephenson… shot down Lothar von Ricthtofen” in his biography of Ian Fleming, “For your eyes only”.

That deliberate lie has not enhanced the reputation of Sir William Stephenson at all, but it has damaged the reputation of its author, William Stevenson, and it has tainted his book.

As a consequence of all this my friend lost all interest in Thomas Townsend Brown and “Defying Gravity”, and I shall never read my copy of "A Man Called Intrepid."

As my friend said, once you know some of it is bunkum “It kind of destroys your faith in the rest.”

Geoff

[1] See for example this book, diligently researched from official records:
“Who Downed the Aces in WW1? Facts, Figures, and Photos on the Fate of Over 300 Top Pilots Flying Over the Western Front” by Norman Franks.

(For clarity, I do not know Norman Franks)
Geoff
Chief Petty Officer

Re: Lies in biographies

Postby Linda Brown » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:27 pm

Show me any book on history Geoff and I will show you a book full of lies. They say, I am sure that you are familiar with this.... that history is written by the winners..... and there are always agendas around every corner when it comes to the written word. I sense it happening even here! :D

I am a little surprised that your friend would "consider the balance of Pauls book" BUNK when he should know better than most that these things happen. Which brings up the question,,, why is it important for you to bring this up here and now, especially on this very thinly read website?

Why don't you make that statement somewhere where it might be noticed?
Unless of course you are just setting up a conversation that Mikado wants to fill.... which seems a terrible waste of your talents. Linda
Linda Brown
Commander

Postby Linda Brown » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:20 pm

Another response here.

Geoff...

You said that you were friends with Paul Schatzkin when your other associate brought this error up. Did you report his concerns to Paul? To give him a chance to review what was then just a first draft? If not..... then wouldn't you have to also take some of the responsibility for the " lie" that was spread? This is a question that Rose asked on the cosmic token. I added the responsibility part of the statement because it does strike me that if you know that something is incorrect and you let someone make it anyway then you have a hand in making him look bad. Am I right?

I remember that Jerry Vassilatos reported that Dad " spent his last years in Umatillo Florida" which of course was incorrect. What was his excuse for not doing his proper research?

I am not blaming you if you decided not to transmit that information to Paul. But disinformation has a funny way of winding its way around truth. Sir William Stephenson called "lies" the bodyguards of truth. I think that is an accurate paraphrase of his statement. You should know that better than I do.

Linda
Linda Brown
Commander

Postby Mikado14 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:11 pm

Several things:

Linda Brown wrote:Show me any book on history Geoff and I will show you a book full of lies.

And they do say the same about memoirs so be very careful where you tread....missy.

Linda Brown wrote:They say, I am sure that you are familiar with this.... that history is written by the winners..... and there are always agendas around every corner when it comes to the written word. I sense it happening even here!

Is this one of your downloads or a standing vision? So far, your senses are batting really badly. As to "winners", you will always use that excuse when something doesn't fit what you want it to but when it does, you will use it to your benefit.

Linda Brown wrote:I am a little surprised that your friend would "consider the balance of Pauls book" BUNK when he should know better than most that these things happen. Which brings up the question,,, why is it important for you to bring this up here and now, especially on this very thinly read website?

Really? Thinly read? And on what set of data or statistics are you basing that on?

Here are some real facts:

The Quonset Hut =
visits today 75 (as 9:30 Eastern)
visits yesterday 85
total for the month 1,042

.....and it is only the 12th of March with 19 more days to go.

Linda Brown wrote:Why don't you make that statement somewhere where it might be noticed?
Unless of course you are just setting up a conversation that Mikado wants to fill.... which seems a terrible waste of your talents. Linda

As you can see by the above numbers from the counter on the cpanel, it is not so thinly viewed. I omitted the return visits but for such a thinly visited site, you certainly visit here often enough.

Linda Brown wrote:You said that you were friends with Paul Schatzkin when your other associate brought this error up.

I have reread Geoff's post twice and no where did I see where he mentioned that he was friends with Paul Schatzkin. You prove exactly how inept you are in reading what individuals posts. You are so intent on creating an argument one can only wonder why you are upset, at least that is how you are coming through. But then compare your defense of Paul's book to how you slander the crap out of the gentleman. Why have you changed?

Linda Brown wrote:Did you report his concerns to Paul? To give him a chance to review what was then just a first draft? If not..... then wouldn't you have to also take some of the responsibility for the " lie" that was spread? This is a question that Rose asked on the cosmic token.

Again, I see you attacking with this. A bit of advice missy, why not just ask one question to see where it goes instead of casting aspersions with the multiple questions? For example, a nicer way of saying all that you said would have been to simply ask - "Did you report these facts to Paul?" - and then wait for an answer. I know you will leave this tidbit of advice but you really need to learn how to deal with individuals if you want answers.

Linda Brown wrote:I added the responsibility part of the statement because it does strike me that if you know that something is incorrect and you let someone make it anyway then you have a hand in making him look bad. Am I right?

I would have to say you are right. And now you know why I have been correcting the truths that I have found out. I will NOT have a hand in substantiating your multiple personalities that existed on Paul's forum and the subsequent falsities perpetrated upon trusting individuals.

Linda Brown wrote:I remember that Jerry Vassilatos reported that Dad " spent his last years in Umatillo Florida" which of course was incorrect. What was his excuse for not doing his proper research?

Now how in the hell is Geoff to be expected to answer for Mr. Vassilatos?

Linda Brown wrote:I am not blaming you if you decided not to transmit that information to Paul. But disinformation has a funny way of winding its way around truth. Sir William Stephenson called "lies" the bodyguards of truth. I think that is an accurate paraphrase of his statement. You should know that better than I do.

And this is always your defense for lies and sock puppets. You'll never change.

Mikado
The thing about Inner Circles is that they are like Boxes - difficult to think outside of them.

"When the Debate is Lost, Slander is the Tool of the Loser" SOCRATES

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.”
― Søren Kierkegaard
Mikado14
Commander

Location: Located where I want to be...or not...depends on the day.

Postby Mikado14 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:20 pm

Geoff,

Interesting bit of information you have there. I believe it might be interesting to go back and do a bit of research on some of the facts in Paul's book. Perhaps he was too trusting of information that he was receiving.

I remember an argument that was brought up by Paul in trusting third hand information. I must say that in some ways, Paul trusted a written author's statements and trusted that he properly performed his due diligence that has turned out to his own dismay.

I personally believe that there are more than likely other errors in Paul's book but they may exist only because he never went back and did HIS due diligence for the final draft. Perhaps he found out some information that peppered all his work and supplied information from nameless sources full of holes. Only Paul can answer those questions and I don't believe he will be forthcoming, at least publicly.

Where does that leave us? I for one have been doing some research on my own and when the time is correct, I believe I will be able to pepper some holes of my own in Paul's book.

Nice work.

Mikado

PS: And no Linda, I didn't put Geoff up to this but I wish I had! Also, I would bet he has more knowing the detail oriented individual both he and Kestrel are and I look forward to any future contributions he will offer. As to posting any where else...why? You just copy everything from here over there so it would be pointless any other way. Just steal them to increase traffic at the Token...okay?
The thing about Inner Circles is that they are like Boxes - difficult to think outside of them.

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.”
― Søren Kierkegaard
Mikado14
Commander

Postby Linda Brown » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:07 pm

I do retract my statement about Geoff and Paul being " friends". I was laboring under the false impression that they were. He can answer for himself of course but I take it from you Mikado that they were not?

Perhaps he was too trusting of information that he was receivingAnd you I think had a hand in quite a bit of that information, didn't you Mikado? Thats what made that meeting in Huntingdon so interesting.

Ipersonally believe that there are more than likely other errors in Paul's book but they may exist only because he never went back and did HIS due diligence for the final draft. Perhaps he found out some information that peppered all his work and supplied information from nameless sources full of holes. Only Paul can answer those questions and I don't believe he will be forthcoming, at least publicly.

As I said.... there are tons of errors in Pauls book. I think that while much of it is very good he has every right to be embarassed to death with his lack of workmanship. And unlike you Mikado he can't blame anyone else but himself actually..... At least publically? But you and he talk quite a bit? You keep mentioning your conversations with Paul so you yourself have led people to that conclusion.

I know that you didn't put Geoff up to this Mikado. You don't have enough draft to get that done. And I am sure that you wished that you had been able to put him up to it because, as I said before it certainly fits right into your agenda.

Your figures on the HUT are deplorable. I keep track too. Sometimes thats just me.... flipping in and out for the heck of it. And there are others doing the exact same thing. But you know that. You also know that very few people are actually reading anything that is being said here. And when you do get visitors they are just coming over to prove to themselves that what they had heard about you is actually true.

You are responsible for what is written here Mikado. I am sure that it will all reach its level sooner or later. Linda
Linda Brown
Commander

Postby Mikado14 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:04 am

Linda Brown wrote: I do retract my statement about Geoff and Paul being " friends". I was laboring under the false impression that they were. He can answer for himself of course but I take it from you Mikado that they were not?

Take it from me? You don't have to, just read what Geoff wrote or is that too difficult or are you looking for conspiracies or are you just plain daft?

Linda Brown wrote:Perhaps he was too trusting of information that he was receivingAnd you I think had a hand in quite a bit of that information, didn't you Mikado? Thats what made that meeting in Huntingdon so interesting.

You really need to proof read prior to hitting the "submit" button. It is so wonderful to see you haven't lost your touch in misdirection but I believe I had NOTHING to do with the writing or the contribution of information to the biography that Paul wrote in regards to your Father or should that be the unfinished biography of your Father?

Linda Brown wrote: Ipersonally believe that there are more than likely other errors in Paul's book but they may exist only because he never went back and did HIS due diligence for the final draft. Perhaps he found out some information that peppered all his work and supplied information from nameless sources full of holes. Only Paul can answer those questions and I don't believe he will be forthcoming, at least publicly.

As I said.... there are tons of errors in Pauls book. I think that while much of it is very good he has every right to be embarassed to death with his lack of workmanship. And unlike you Mikado he can't blame anyone else but himself actually..... At least publically? But you and he talk quite a bit? You keep mentioning your conversations with Paul so you yourself have led people to that conclusion.

Ah...misdirection again. When I mentioned "conversations" I was talking in reference to "conversations" that were had in the first few months of 2009 and more specifically it would have been February. As to your comment about blaming anyone I really think you need to "reread" what you wrote. Does that mean I can blame YOU or someone else for something perceived in that little ole head of yours? But of course I can, I can blame shells.

Linda Brown wrote:I know that you didn't put Geoff up to this Mikado. You don't have enough draft to get that done. And I am sure that you wished that you had been able to put him up to it because, as I said before it certainly fits right into your agenda.

Draft? Are we talking about plowing a field here...<G>. How do you know I didn't? Are you in communication with him? Linda, I don't need any help in bringing you down for I have the best help of all.....you. You are doing such an excellent job of crying and posting and foot stomping and misdirection and obfuscation of facts and twisting of facts in that every time I flush the toilet, the swirling water reminds me of you.

Linda Brown wrote:Your figures on the HUT are deplorable. I keep track too. Sometimes thats just me.... flipping in and out for the heck of it. And there are others doing the exact same thing. But you know that. You also know that very few people are actually reading anything that is being said here. And when you do get visitors they are just coming over to prove to themselves that what they had heard about you is actually true.

No Linda, you are not keeping track. You are looking at the numbers on the front page, that is all. The cpanel keeps track of ALL visitors and who they are. The Stat Counter keeps a log as well. If you believe those numbers are deplorable than that is your opinion. What about the universities that are coming in and out whenever something is posted? I can see the IP's and where they are located and it is quite easy to detect fixed servers for their IP is consistent.

Linda Brown wrote:You are responsible for what is written here Mikado. I am sure that it will all reach its level sooner or later. Linda

And remember, you are responsible for what you did to Paul and what you wrote in your book and you can NEVER take that back.

Mikado

― Søren Kierkegaard
Mikado14
Commander

Postby Linda Brown » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:39 pm

I believe that I am entitled to a response here since apparently I am still a member.

This has already been posted on the cosmic-token this morning.
And Geoff this is addressed to you too..... with my regards..... Linda

"And watch carefully how he words his response.....

And remember, you are responsible for what you did to Paul and what you wrote in your book and you can NEVER take that back.

Mikado

See, I love that little snide remark .well done Mikado!... I am responsible FOR WHAT I DID TO PAUL. You see I am this terrible wicked woman who drew POOR defenseless, unwitting,innocent, trusting Paul into this nest of deceit! I PULLED him out of the aether and convinced him that he absolutely had to spend six years of his life pounding his heart out on a computer.... I had the audacity to stand by and watch him interact with folks that he could not see and did not meet and I was the one who twisted his arm so that he fell so much in love with the character that he himself named Morgan that he didn't even want to finish the book because he knew when he did.... he would lose connection. YUP that was all my doing.

And see how I have managed to really benefit by all of this? After his meeting with you Paul came home and closed the Forum down....and because of his contractual arrangement with me he must have figured that he had to publish... so he did that without one bit of proper editing and then he walked away. Not promoting something that I had a paulty twenty percent interest in.... after six years of constant work.... most of it totally hidden behind the persona of Elizabeth Helen Drake. OH WICKED ME.

The amount I agreed on for compensation was less than a waitress would get and we used to laugh about that! I was money grubbing and demanding! I sure did all of that to him!!!! Wicked me!!!!! The book has been paying Paul back for the expenses he incurred and according to our contract I will not get one dime of that twenty percent of proceeds until he gets all of that back. ( Wicked me... I agreed to that!!!! Boy! I really took him to the cleaner!!!!) :?: The book has doubled in its sales from the last report and Paul has done absolutely nothing to promote it. Gee..... I wonder which terribly wicked person is responsible for keeping the name of Townsend Brown out there?....I am the BANE of poor defenseless Pauls existence! I gave him the opportunity to write a really wonderful piece of work....and HE DID IT... and then he let the doubts that YOU peppered him with.... turn his optimism and faith into discouragement and despair. Not a month after that meeting he wrote EPIC FAIL and threw in the towel. He said he had " talked to his mentor".... was that you? The person who finally was the last straw for Paul?

Oh but wait.... I AM THE ONE that was responsible for poor Pauls actions. RIGHT? It was all me......Wicked me.... Now I understand why Mr. Twigsnapper so loves that word.

Well... You certainly have helped me show my true colors I guess by providing a website in Dads name that is so filthy and slimey that some have told me that they need a shower after visiting! You can thank Kim for some of that because she was very effective doing what she does best. Oh but wait.... thats my responsibility too. I MADE you guys do all of that!

You wallow "And remember, you are responsible for what you did to Paul and what you wrote in your book and you can NEVER take that back." NOPE. Its out there for good.

You are darned right! I can never take the words that Paul wrote back! HE WROTE THEM. Its HIS name on the cover. Let him explain the mistakes.... and the lack of courage.... and the black inspirations that he got at the last moment from YOU.

Yes my words are out there. And there are going to be many more of them. Deal with it.

Mikado YOU have sealed your fate and chosen your path with words that you will never be able to take back either.

Linda Brown

Now this will probably be erased. But I don't care. Linda
Linda Brown
Commander

Postby Linda Brown » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:28 pm

And just another response to something that you said

No Linda, you are not keeping track. You are looking at the numbers on the front page, that is all. I would be very careful Mikado. You really don't know where I am looking, or what I know.
Linda
Linda Brown
Commander

Postby Linda Brown » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:00 pm

And just so there is an even exchange of information between the Hut and the cosmic-token here is something I recently posted there which really needs to be here too.

But you know.... I've been thinking ( thats Dads phrase so watch out!)

Maybe I SHOULD start taking credit for all of the bad things that have happened to Mikado and Paul? I just don't know how I can manage to do that because all of it is pretty far beyond my abilities.......I'd like to think that I was that brilliant and capable but.....no way....

BUT.....Maybe we need to give some credit to Somebody because without that wondrous negative influence from Paul I would never have written my memoir.... Shoot without Paul folding like a cheap chair I would never have had anything to write about!.... and without Mikados strange and somehow overriding urge to paint me such a terrible woman.... I would never had started the Cosmic-Token!.... nor be just a few days away from opening another site that is REALLY my Dads and under my control and no one elses..... who managed to do that?

I have my suspicions of course.

If I told you that I believed that there was a force at work here I think that maybe some of you have seen enough of it.... to agree with me...

He said as he walked away from my Dads funeral that he was not going to let Dad be forgotten. For those of you who are new to this story... please get to know him...

Mikado says that the person named Morgan doesn't exist and maybe thats the way its supposed to be in the future. But like Dads influence on me and us too....all you have to do to recognize a presence is to note what moves in response to it.

Linda
Linda Brown
Commander

Next

Return to Conversations in the Hut