Internet Slander

The further discussions of Science and Technology from T. T. Brown's work through today's breakthroughs and continuing research.

Internet Slander

Postby Mikado14 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:12 am

A word of advice:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2006-10-10-internet-defamation-case_x.htm

Before anyone puts out information, they need to be aware of what they are putting out. They need to be able to at least site a source or something evidentiary as to why a statement is being made.

Sometimes, money is everything. Sometimes, it is just to establish the truth that is everything.

Mikado

***additional***

And now that I see that Linda has read this post and went to the link, I offer you another more important case reference.

http://www.netslander.com/internet-defamation-cases/ wrote:Another internet defamation lawsuit of note was decided in Georgia in 2011. The case began in 2008. The facts, in brief, are that a man named Gene Cooley lost his fiancée when her ex-husband killed her and then turned the gun on himself. Topix became the website of choice for a woman named Denise Ballew who decided to blog extensively about the event, although she barely knew Gene Cooley. Her posts included statements indicating that he was a drug user, boozer, pervert and the like. As a result of these blogs, Cooley lost his job and eventually had to move out of his home town.

Cooley hired an attorney, who in turn served a subpoena on Topix demanding the internet protocol (IP) address of the poster. Topix complied and Cooley was awarded $400,000 for the damages the postings caused. The decision fell in line with Georgia law, which states that ‘it is generally presumed that the defamed individual has been injured and it is then the jury’s task to decide the amount of money that should be awarded’. The old adage ‘be careful what you say’ now reads: ‘be careful what you write’ – as well it should.

I might add that if you look up the case, you will see that Denise Ballew had multiple identities (sound familiar?) on the Topix website.

And if you want a source, here it is:

http://www.alpharettapersonalinjuryfirm.com/Personal-Injury-Blog/2011/January/Georgia-man-awarded-404-000-from-Union-County-ju.aspx wrote:The story is almost unbelievable: Gene Cooley lost his fiancee when she was murdered by her ex-husband in 2008. Shortly after the murder, an anonymous person posting on a Blairsville, Georgia community website under multiple screen names accused Cooley of being a pedophile, a drug addict and having a long criminal record with prison time. Cooley was none of those things and had no criminal record. Cooley didn't own a computer and was shocked when his fiancee's family suddenly wanted nothing to do with him. He was fired from his job at a Blairsville hair salon when the salon owner heard about the accusations circulating around the small Georgia community. Suddenly Cooley not only lost his fiancee, but his fiancee's family, his job, his friends and his reputation.

Cooley's lawyer and the community website, Topix.com, were able to track down the poster's IP address, an address unique to each computer, and discover the malicious person's identity. Sybil Denise Ballew barely knew Cooley but decided she didn't like him and started her internet rampage against him using several screen names to act like multiple people. Cooley said he really didn't know this woman at all; he had been a customer occasionally at two places Ballew worked.

This woman thought she could anonymously rip Cooley's life apart, ruin his reputation, and walk away from the carnage she caused. A Union County jury didn't agree. On January 13, 2011, a six-person jury awarded Gene Cooley a $404,000 judgment against Ballew. Cooley's lawyer is investigating any assets Ballew might have to pay the judgment but it's unlikely that Cooley will ever see any of that money. It's more of a moral victory than a financial victory. Cooley's lawyer and the local district attorney are currently drafting a bill to make such libelous action a crime and not merely a civil matter.

My advice to Paul.....hold on to those emails from Morgan and twigsnapper, they could be quite valuable.

Mikado
The thing about Inner Circles is that they are like Boxes - difficult to think outside of them.

"When the Debate is Lost, Slander is the Tool of the Loser" SOCRATES

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.”
― Søren Kierkegaard
Mikado14
Commander

Location: Located where I want to be...or not...depends on the day.

Re: Internet Slander

Postby FM No Static At All » Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:20 pm

My advice to Paul.....hold on to those emails from Morgan and twigsnapper, they could be quite valuable.

Mikado

It would also seem prudent to obtain and hold the IP addresses associated with those emails. While the recipient may not get the sender's (because of proxies etc.) the ISP of the sender must keep those records according to the laws under the Patriot Act.

So does that mean a slander suit is/has been filed?
Fred a.k.a.
FM No Static at All

Fix America - The Patriot Way!
Whenever any form of government becomes destructive of these ends [life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness] it is the right of the people to alter or abolish it, and to institute new government...
-Thomas Jefferson (The Declaration of Independence)
FM No Static At All
Commander

Location: Ending the reign of terror called the Federal Reserve System

Re: Internet Slander

Postby Mikado14 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:57 am

FM No Static At All wrote:

Mikado

It would also seem prudent to obtain and hold the IP addresses associated with those emails. While the recipient may not get the sender's (because of proxies etc.) the ISP of the sender must keep those records according to the laws under the Patriot Act.

So does that mean a slander suit is/has been filed?

Unless of course they know Raymond Lavas, he can do ANYTHING!

oh...and BTW....I have a red book that will be public very soon and show that someones work is NOT original but merely photo copies of others work and from textbooks...tit for tat.

Mikado
The thing about Inner Circles is that they are like Boxes - difficult to think outside of them.

"When the Debate is Lost, Slander is the Tool of the Loser" SOCRATES

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.”
― Søren Kierkegaard
Mikado14
Commander

Location: Located where I want to be...or not...depends on the day.

Return to Conversations in the Hut