The Suspension of Disbelief...

The further discussions of Science and Technology from T. T. Brown's work through today's breakthroughs and continuing research.

The Suspension of Disbelief...

Postby Kestrel » Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:42 am

The suspension of disbelief is a truly wonderful thing, it is what enables us to identify with, and care for, the diverse range of characters that appear in the vast number of stories that we engage with throughout our lives. As I child I loved listening to the stories my parents read to me at bed time, and my love of stories has never diminished. I like the escapism of the created world and the ability to experience the emotions attached to a situation from the safety of the pages in a book. I like both fiction and factual stories, because at the end of the day they are both about people and what it means to be human.

The suspension of disbelief enables us to visit alien worlds, times outside of our own existence, and situations that we would never encounter, and it enables us to believe and identify with the characters that we are experiencing it through. We may not know what it is like to be on the bridge of a starship, but we can identify with the character’s fear, joy, excitement etc, and through these emotions we gain entry into this fantastical world.

Identification with a character is not something that can be assumed, it has to be developed and nurtured, it’s not unlike the development of a friendship. If the story is to be told to a large audience then the story teller will often use something guaranteed to be shared by the majority, such as the experience of ‘loss’ or ‘injustice’ for example. If the story is being told to a friend around the campfire then the ‘hook’ can be so much more personal.

Paul Schatzkin’s father suffered and died from Multiple Myeloma, which is an illness that Morgan told Paul that he suffered from, and that nearly killed him in 1987. Both would have strong emotions attached to that illness, and through that it is quite understandable that the two men might have developed a bond.

In the story of Dr. Brown it was Mr. Twigsnapper’s character I took to most, after all what is not to like about this the Irish, saxophone playing, horse loving, British spy? I have had no experience that would even come close to what it would have been like as part of the passage crew on a Midget Submarine in 1943, but I can relate to the emotions those crews must have felt and I can’t help feeling admiration for anyone who was involved. This character also has the ability, just like Jason Bourne, to protect himself against a better armed assailant, with nothing more that a rolled up newspaper and his instincts.

When does a slight embellishment become a lie and at what point does fact sprinkled with supposition become fiction? I’d always had a nagging doubt about some of the stories presented by Mr Twigsnapper and Mr. Barrett (Morgan), but how could a group of internet forum members, who seemed quite intelligent, rational and not ready to jump off the deep end, be convinced of the story and be bringing parts of the missing pieces to the table if it were not true?

Well, it became a little clearer on 10th February when I became aware of punctuation traits shared by Mr. Twigsnapper, James Barrett, Lady Grady, Victoria Steele, Grinder, Madison, Mark Culpepper, Lisa Culpepper, Elizabeth Helen Drake… Was I disappointed? Yeah, I felt like a fool, what are the odds that all these key people would share the same punctuation traits in their messages? The rational conclusion is that they all originated from the same source. I posted my findings on 2nd March and it was suggested that all these people were using the punctuation as a code. Luckily one person was able to break the code and receive their hidden message!

Once the suspension of disbelief is created it needs to be maintained, and it is a delicate path to tread. It can easily be derailed by the sudden appearance of a microphone on the screen at the cinema, or a continuity error whereby the actor’s cigarette miraculously extends and contracts between shots. Once the illusion is shattered you are left seeing the construction from the outside rather than being immersed within it, and it looks quite different.

Now having these considerable doubts I’m left wondering:

What are the true facts?
What is educated guess work?
What is fiction?

…And also, why the deception?

For basic research it is desirable to be able to triangulate any fact, i.e. have three independent sources that corroborate it. The internet is a nightmare in some respects because you often cannot drill down to see where the source of the information originated. It is much better to have first-hand accounts, primary sources that can provide information. Luckily for Paul he had O’Riley (Mr. Twigsnapper), and Morgan (Mr. Barrett), two individuals at the heart of the ‘clandestine activities’ of Dr. Brown, who better to provide information on that aspect of his life? On the face of it we have two independent sources, but their forum posts show the same punctuation traits!

Telling and listening to stories, true or otherwise, is part of being human; we are interested in each other and are gifted with an imagination that enables us to escape and be entranced by a reality that is not our own. I think any story teller, in whatever medium, needs to remember to respect their audience. The audience is placing their trust in the story teller not to abuse them as they allow themselves to suspend their disbelief.

So yes I feel a fool, and I doubt I am alone in that feeling… but it was a fantastically entertaining story.

I’m reminded of the film ‘The Sting.’

Chris
Kestrel
Petty Officer 3rd Class

Re: The Suspension of Disbelief...

Postby Mikado14 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:57 pm

Hello Kestrel,

I must agree with what you have written. I have noticed that even in the face of proof, circular logic is employed. Some individuals fail to see what Raymond used to call the "Hidden Markov" 's.

It was in everyone's face. Perhaps the problem was only that we wanted to believe more than anything but I am only reiterating what you have written. Perhaps I should say....I wanted to believe....and then I smelled the coffee.

In other words, I agree and I know of 4 others who agree as well. I would also bet that Paul agrees as well.

Mikado
The thing about Inner Circles is that they are like Boxes - difficult to think outside of them.

"When the Debate is Lost, Slander is the Tool of the Loser" SOCRATES

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.”
― Søren Kierkegaard
Mikado14
Commander

Location: Located where I want to be...or not...depends on the day.

Postby Mikado14 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:46 am

I remember a post somewhere whereas Cat mentioned to Linda that in the future, her and I would have to work together to an extent.

You really need to get what ever it is that's eating at you inside under control, Linda. The "Mikado Effect"? At least that is what someone mentioned to me but I couldn't find it at the Token, perhaps they were just pulling my leg. In any event, you could try surgery to have it removed when you identify it <g>. What and how you continue, will have an impact in the manner your Fathers work will be portrayed in the future and the credit that he is given. Do you really want that? I don't but it is in your control and not mine.

Suppose twigsnapper hasn't mentioned it, did he?....of course not, he doesn't exist as you portrayed him for if he did exist, you would have curbed that petulance, however, you continue to show the child that you are.

A child in the playground who gets caught telling untrue stories will do or say anything to wriggle out of it. At least the wriggling may help you lose a bit of weight.

Why is this under the topic "The Suspension of Disbelief..."? Because I can't believe how you will do or say anything including the manufacture of stories...un-freakin'-believable.

Isn't today someone's birthday? Of course, it must be Brendan Kelly's birthday! Happy Birthday Morgan..er...Brendan or Dave or whomever Linda says you are. Stopped by to say Happy Birthday over the weekend...he wasn't in.

Mikado
The thing about Inner Circles is that they are like Boxes - difficult to think outside of them.

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.”
― Søren Kierkegaard
Mikado14
Commander

Postby catspaw1950 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:33 pm

I don't remember whether I said Linda and Mikado will have to work together in the future, or whether I said deal with each other. The essence is the same as far as what I see. They have some connection that has yet to be severed. The root of the connection still exists. It's something between the two of them, that will have to be resolved by them. The rest of us can flap our jaws, applaud, or whatever. Or someone can try to buy the movie rights to the situation and put it on the silver screen.

Cat 5150
A time just for plantin', a time just for ploughin'.
A time just for livin'. A place for to die.
'Twas so good to be young then, to be close to the earth.
Now the green leaves of summer are callin' me home.
catspaw1950
Commander

Postby Mikado14 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:06 am

I want Brendan Kelly to play me...no, wait...how about Robert Downey Jr...no...how about Chris Knight?

<g>

Mikado

― Søren Kierkegaard
Mikado14
Commander

Postby Francis Elynbrigge » Sun May 04, 2014 1:42 pm

Kestrel wrote:Once the suspension of disbelief is created it needs to be maintained, and it is a delicate path to tread. It can easily be derailed by the sudden appearance of a microphone on the screen at the cinema, or a continuity error whereby the actor’s cigarette miraculously extends and contracts between shots. Once the illusion is shattered you are left seeing the construction from the outside rather than being immersed within it, and it looks quite different.

I am a person working with media also. I wanna know about some tips. How can I go without cigarette. I know this is very bad but how can i convert myself with good things?
Francis Elynbrigge

Postby LuisP » Mon May 05, 2014 2:53 pm

Francis Elynbrigge ...

Facts :
Medieval name.
County of Surrey.
Croydon.
Manor of Benchesham divided among 5 daughters. Four of these "severalties" purchased by a John Barret, around 1712.

Fiction:
Possible relation to Thomas Elynbridge (Elynbrigge) ?
For the Crown.
"local merchant with a sickly brother Matthew ..."

Enough said.

Hope you stay around, Francis.
LuisP
Commander

Postby Francis Elynbrigge » Wed May 07, 2014 3:19 pm

Kestrel wrote:Once the suspension of disbelief is created it needs to be maintained, and it is a delicate path to tread. It can easily be derailed by the sudden appearance of a microphone on the screen at the cinema, or a continuity error whereby the actor’s e cigarette miraculously extends and contracts between shots. Once the illusion is shattered you are left seeing the construction from the outside rather than being immersed within it, and it looks quite different.

I am a person working with media also. I wanna know about some tips. How can I go without cigarette. I know this is very bad but how can i convert myself with good things?
Francis Elynbrigge

Postby re-rose » Wed May 07, 2014 4:44 pm

thank you, Luis, that was just enough. Welcome Francis. Nice to see you activated.

rose
re-rose
Lt. J. G.

Postby Mikado14 » Thu May 08, 2014 10:41 am

Francis Elynbrigge wrote:
Kestrel wrote:Once the suspension of disbelief is created it needs to be maintained, and it is a delicate path to tread. It can easily be derailed by the sudden appearance of a microphone on the screen at the cinema, or a continuity error whereby the actor’s e cigarette miraculously extends and contracts between shots. Once the illusion is shattered you are left seeing the construction from the outside rather than being immersed within it, and it looks quite different.

There is a hidden url in the above post. Mr. Francis Elynbrigge is trying to join to make posts for advertising. Here is the url: click on the link at your own peril.

e cigarette

If you look closely, both posts are identical to what he says. It is apparent that he/she screwed up the first time and redid it. If you look closely, in the second post, the word "cigarette" has been changed to "e-cigarette" and is underlined. To hide this url, the poster changed the font color and underlined the entire post.

I put this up for all those conspiracists who talk but don't see what is in front of them.

This account will be deactivated and the IP blocked.

Mikado

― Søren Kierkegaard
Mikado14
Commander

Next

Return to Conversations in the Hut