capacitors

The further discussions of Science and Technology from T. T. Brown's work through today's breakthroughs and continuing research.

capacitors

Postby catspaw1950 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:12 am

I've been reading about capacitors in an effort to gain some understanding of how they function. Now I have a question. An asymetrical capacitor is mentioned in the work with electrogravitics. Is the capacitor physically narrower at one end? I'm picturing something like a four lane highway narrowing down to two lanes, then everything breaking loose as the highway widens again. Not the most accurate analogy in the world, I suppose, but it's what I can visualize at this point.

Cat
A time just for plantin', a time just for ploughin'.
A time just for livin'. A place for to die.
'Twas so good to be young then, to be close to the earth.
Now the green leaves of summer are callin' me home.
catspaw1950
Commander

Re: capacitors

Postby Mikado14 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:15 pm

Cat wrote:I've been reading about capacitors in an effort to gain some understanding of how they function. Now I have a question. An asymetrical capacitor is mentioned in the work with electrogravitics. Is the capacitor physically narrower at one end? I'm picturing something like a four lane highway narrowing down to two lanes, then everything breaking loose as the highway widens again. Not the most accurate analogy in the world, I suppose, but it's what I can visualize at this point.

Cat

Hello Cat,

You asked a very good question and I will attempt to answer it as simply as possible.

I will choose a cooking metaphor since you have talked about baking and cooking a good deal.

If you were to bake a single layer cake, vanilla or chocolate or whatever, and put it on a cooling rack, we will assign this the description of "dielectric".

Now, take two dinner plates and set one on the table. Then put the cake on the plate. Finally, put the other dinner plate on top of the cake. When viewed from the side, you would see the plate on the bottom, the cake (dielectric) and then the plate on top. This would be representative of a capacitor. This capacitor would be described as being "symmetrical" since both plates are the same size.

Now, remove the top plate from the cake (dielectric) and replace it with a coffee cup saucer. You now have a large plate on the bottom and a smaller plate on the top which means that the cake (dielectric) is between two dissimilar size plates and it would be considered "asymmetric".

So, a "symmetrical capacitor" has plates that are equal in size and an "asymmetrical capacitor" has plates that are not equal in size.

Good start so far?

Mikado
The thing about Inner Circles is that they are like Boxes - difficult to think outside of them.

"When the Debate is Lost, Slander is the Tool of the Loser" SOCRATES

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.”
― Søren Kierkegaard
Mikado14
Commander

Location: Located where I want to be...or not...depends on the day.

Postby catspaw1950 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:57 pm

Very good start. Thank you. I can guarantee the cake would be chocolate. Vanilla cakes are just so vanilla.

Next question. Am I remembering correctly that the energy in electrogravitics travels from the larger plate to the smaller plate? And this oncentrates or condenses the energy? I guess that's actually two questions. I do remember reading that capacitors were previously called condensers.

Cat
catspaw1950
Commander

Postby Mikado14 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:56 pm

catspaw1950 wrote: Very good start. Thank you. I can guarantee the cake would be chocolate. Vanilla cakes are just so vanilla.

AH....with either vanilla icing or that caramel/coconut icing with pecans.

catspaw1950 wrote:Next question. Am I remembering correctly that the energy in electrogravitics travels from the larger plate to the smaller plate? And this oncentrates or condenses the energy? I guess that's actually two questions. I do remember reading that capacitors were previously called condensers.

Cat

First, yes, capacitors are referred to as condensers and it is still referred to as that in the automotive industry. The word condenser is an old term and goes back to the early days of the Leydan jar and the "condensation of energy".

Using the term "energy" as travelling is not correct. I believe you are referring to the direction of movement that Dr Brown was referring to as the "hereto for unknown force which is a departure from Coulomb's Law" (Hope I haven't lost you) which is from the "negative" to the "positive". I refer to this as a "displacement" and not a "movement" although it appears that way from visual observation.

Now, I believe that should answer your questions, if not, hey....we have an entire thread.

Mikado
The thing about Inner Circles is that they are like Boxes - difficult to think outside of them.

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.”
― Søren Kierkegaard
Mikado14
Commander

Postby catspaw1950 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:07 pm

So we're talking displacement, not movement. That takes me back to my jr. high home ec class. We were taught to measure solid shortening using the water displacement method. Anyway, that gives me a better understanding. And before you ask, I was not a star student in home ec. That was just what girls were required to take back in the day.

German chocolate cake with the caramel, cocon ut, pecan frosting. Yum. Double chocolate cake with vanilla cream cheese frosting. Double yum. I still remember how to make that frosting from my Cinnabon days.

I hope to come up with more questions and continue this thread. I really am interested in learning about the science.

Cat
catspaw1950
Commander

Postby Mikado14 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:10 pm

The water and shortening.

Water = aether
Shortening = Gravitor

The shortening displaces the water. Now you can figure the rest out.

...by jove she may have got it!

Mikado

― Søren Kierkegaard
Mikado14
Commander

Postby catspaw1950 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:30 pm

So, I can build a working model with water, shortening, a chocolate cake and two different sized plates? I may have to try that. <g>

Cat
catspaw1950
Commander

Postby Mikado14 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:05 pm

Kim told me about your reply on the other place.

Sorry for the cake analogy. Maybe you could give out pieces to the "trick or treaters"? ....oh yeah, that is over with. How about the grandkids?

...or you can send Kim and I a piece?

Mikado <g>

― Søren Kierkegaard
Mikado14
Commander

Postby catspaw1950 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:27 pm

The cake analogy made perfect sense to me, so it was a good one to use. I'm hoping that Kim can make a little more sense of the science too. I put medical terminology into layman's terms when I'm educating patients and their families. Using analogies that they can relate to works well. As for the post over there, I figured Kim would read it and you could both have a laugh. <g>

Cat
catspaw1950
Commander

Postby catspaw1950 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:22 pm

Moving right along to another question. How do transformers differ from capacitors? Other than the obvious, that the ones on power poles don't turn into talking vehicles.

Cat
catspaw1950
Commander

Next

Return to Conversations in the Hut