Honey Bees

Discussions on all the sciences, whether biological to abstract theory

Honey Bees

Postby Mikado14 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:53 am

For the past several years, there has been issues with the decline of honey bee populations. As most know, honeybees are an essential part of pollination. Many theories have been brought forward and one of the strongest or most talked about has been cell phone towers and the signals they emit. In other words, EM pollution.

However, here is another take with scientific evidence.

http://news.yahoo.com/zombie-fly-parasite-killing-honeybees-230200867.html

It may not be the only explanation but it sure is a concrete explanation for it has hard data and evidence.

Mikado
The thing about Inner Circles is that they are like Boxes - difficult to think outside of them.

"When the Debate is Lost, Slander is the Tool of the Loser" SOCRATES

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.”
― Søren Kierkegaard
Mikado14
Commander

Location: Located where I want to be...or not...depends on the day.

Re: Honey Bees

Postby Mikado14 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:35 am

And the bee problem only continues.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/power-playe ... .html?vp=1

link above wrote:"U.S. Department of Agriculture bee researcher Jeff Pettis, who is leading the government’s search for answers, said there’s a lot more at stake in the disappearance of honeybees than just honey.
“If you walk into your grocery store, you might see about only one-third of the produce left in the produce aisle,” Pettis said, explaining what a world without bees would look like. “Apples and nuts and many of the fruits and vegetables would simply not be available if we didn't have bees or something to pollinate.”
The thing about Inner Circles is that they are like Boxes - difficult to think outside of them.

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.”
― Søren Kierkegaard
Mikado14
Commander

Postby wags » Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:50 am

Mikado14 wrote:For the past several years, there has been issues with the decline of honey bee populations. As most know, honeybees are an essential part of pollination. Many theories have been brought forward and one of the strongest or most talked about has been cell phone towers and the signals they emit. In other words, EM pollution.

However, here is another take with scientific evidence.

http://news.yahoo.com/zombie-fly-parasite-killing-honeybees-230200867.html

It may not be the only explanation but it sure is a concrete explanation for it has hard data and evidence.

Mikado

I knew a Bee Inspector who was involved with this and it is a devastating parasite. There is a lesser known natural bee that is solitary whose numbers have also declined significantly over here in UK.
Boswell : ‘I have provided you with an argument, but I am not obliged to supply an understanding"
wags
Commander

Postby Mikado14 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:22 pm

Yes, I am aware of the parasite.

There is a group of bee keepers, apiculturists, in my area that are looking to start new hives in new locations. I have offered my farm which is usually planted with alfalfa, corn and soybeans along with adjacent farms that have rotation as well between corn and beans. Their concern is to diversify their hives from a single location. There are those that transport hives to farms and especially orchards for pollination and then move the hive again. What some of those I talked to are looking for are permanent locations so as to have alternate established hives.

Don't know that much but it seemed logical. Guess we'll see if they take the offer or not.

Mikado

― Søren Kierkegaard
Mikado14
Commander

Postby Mikado14 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:08 pm

When I originally put up this thread, I remember Linda making a joke out of it. The reduction of honey bee hives is no joking matter for they are essential to good agriculture and the growing of food crops not to mention plants etc.

I would appear that there may be a solution to the problem.

http://www.eltopia.com/mitenot/

A company has come up with way to monitor what is going on in the hive and keep an eye on the life cycle of the mite.

And here is the critter:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Varroa_destructor

Varroa_Mite.jpg
Varroa_Mite.jpg (11.49 KiB) Viewed 5059 times

The honey bee is essentially to our food supply. It is essential for a good deal of pollination.

It is not a joke.

Mikado

― Søren Kierkegaard
Mikado14
Commander

Postby kevin » Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:58 am

Take a bee line.
I have long admired the fabulous dowsers bees are.
They are becoming confused in a sea of signals that are toooooooooo near the natural system they employ.
I have never owned a stinking mobile phone.
Kevin
kevin
The Hobbit

Return to Science