HV Connector

Implementation of science and theory into hardware.

HV Connector

Postby Mikado14 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:13 pm

One of the primary pieces of equipment that someone who wishes to experiment with some of Dr. Brown's work will be a High Voltage Power Supply. The problem that one might confront is the absence of lead wires, whether it be the power cord or the HV cord or both, you will have to come up with them. I ran into the same problem with a supply I purchased a few years ago. The manufacturer wanted $400 for a connector. I felt that was a bit extreme since it was almost half of the surplus price I paid. My solution was to make a connector.

What I will be showing are the steps I took to construct an HV connector. Of course different manufacturers use different connector types and even so within the same manufacturer. Also, you will find that the higher the Voltage, the more robust the connector in regard to the insulation and placement (i.e. the actual connector will reach inside the unit for a connection so that there are no exposed terminals).

It might be a while for I need to alter the size of the photos. I need to do this so they will fit in the post and not have the need for scroll bars on the side and bottom.

My goal in doing this is to spark ideas and to instill in others who wish to experiment that it can be done, if one has the talent but no budget.

Mikado
The thing about Inner Circles is that they are like Boxes - difficult to think outside of them.

"When the Debate is Lost, Slander is the Tool of the Loser" SOCRATES

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.”
― Søren Kierkegaard
Mikado14
Commander

Location: Located where I want to be...or not...depends on the day.

Re: HV Connector

Postby Mikado14 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:57 am

The power supply I built the connector for is a Spellman SL series. The HV multiplier is encased in potting material and the connector must reach inside 14 inches. The bore on the hole is 1/2". This will require a rod that is in excess of 14" and the rod must have a bore to allow the conducting wire to go through it. What I decided to do was to get two pieces of delrin (an engineering plastic) and combine the two pieces together. The reason for this was that the only drill I could purchase was 12" long.

So, the overall length was about 17". This would allow the locking ring to be placed and bit more to protrude from the back of the unit. The first step was to drill out the delrin rod. In order to drill the rod, a center hole must be drilled first.

100_9727.jpg

After the center drill it is time to drill out the rod. Since the drill is so long, it will be necessary to use the follow rest to support the drill. A steady rest would have been the preferred method but I chose to use the follow rest.

100_9733.jpg

Once the drill was half way into the rod, I removed the follow rest and continued to drill. It should be noted that it could only be drilled a quarter inch at a time since the flutes on the drill need to be cleaned or it would bind and heat up and melt the plastic.

100_9735.jpg

These are the only pictures I have done so far as to resizing. I will get more done as time allows.

Mikado
The thing about Inner Circles is that they are like Boxes - difficult to think outside of them.

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.”
― Søren Kierkegaard
Mikado14
Commander

Postby Mikado14 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:42 am

Downsized a few more photos over the weekend.

After the center of the rods were drilled out, the next step was to turn the end of the rod down to fit the BNC connector to it. This photo shows the male end being turned to accept the nut of the BNC.

100_9739.jpg

The nut needed to be drilled out to fit the male end that was turned. The reason for this is because the diameter of the nut would have made the male on the rod too thin and there would have been no strength to the rod, therefore, by drilling out the nut there would have been a thicker wall to the male on the rod and increase the strength of the rod.

100_9741.jpg

The nut is placed on the rod.

100_9743.jpg

The next series of photos that I will reduce down in size will be for the joining of the two rods.

Mikado

― Søren Kierkegaard
Mikado14
Commander

Postby Mikado14 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:36 am

The connector needed to be 17" in length but it was not readily available in that length. I decided to take two 12" pieces and would join them to get the required length. This required one end of one rod to be drilled out to be the female end.

100_9757.jpg

I had previously turned one end of the other rod to be the male and test fitted it into the female end after drilling.

100_9759.jpg

Proving the fit of the two rods

100_9761.jpg

After the fit was proven up, it was necessary to trim off the 3" piece that would be added to the 12" piece. A parting tool is used for that.

100_9762.jpg

The next series of photos will be of the making of the locking ring for securing the connector to the Power Supply.

― Søren Kierkegaard
Mikado14
Commander

Postby Mikado14 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:23 am

I have noticed that for some reason, this particular thread topic has been getting quite a few hits over the last few months. I can only suppose that perhaps someone is experimenting and has found the need to construct an HV probe/connector for a power supply.

I never finished posting the photos due to the fact that Linda was commenting and copying to her forum and criticizing, sharply I might add, in regard to my construction and how it was not on topic and that I should be posting my results instead.

My goal was to help those that wanted to experiment on their own and offer some help.

Perhaps I let her get under my skin but then those commenting on her site involved someone who was experimenting as well.

If anyone is interested, I would be more than happy to finish this thread, just let me know.

Mikado

― Søren Kierkegaard
Mikado14
Commander

Postby Antigravitic » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:08 am

"...one must first understand the nature, then imitate..."
Antigravitic
Petty Officer 2nd Class

Postby Antigravitic » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:24 am

Hi, I appreciate the idea, I have relied on it to make this bushing connector for high vacuum, high voltage.

Many thanks Mikado14

-----------------------------------------------

Hola, te agradezco la idea, me he basado en ella para hacer este conector pasamuros para alto vacio, alta tensión.

Muchas gracias Mikado14
"...one must first understand the nature, then imitate..."
Antigravitic
Petty Officer 2nd Class

Return to Engineering