What has been working for you Rose?

This forum is dedicated to the dreamers.
Forum rules
Act like an adult, no prepubescent children, even if it means an argument but do so with a calm demeanor.

What has been working for you Rose?

Postby Soloma » Tue May 13, 2014 9:31 pm

Mom said she was fed up, wants to get better. I reinforced to her she was going to have to take control of her own health, I suggested she re read (maybe finally?)Dr. Khalsa book. Told her I would help her, am thinking the brainwave entrainment music I used in the past would benefit her.

Since 1993, Dr. Khalsa has been the President and Medical Director of the Alzheimer's Research and Prevention Foundation in Tucson, Arizona, the original voice in the integrative medical approach to the prevention and treatment of memory loss.

In 2003, Dharma Singh Khalsa, M.D. testified before Congress about his pioneering work in the area of lifestyle influence on Alzheimer's disease, and called on Congress to fund a national education and outreach campaign designed to inform the public of the benefits of an integrative medical approach to Alzheimer's. After his testimony, Dr. Khalsa received the support of U.S. Surgeon General Richard H. Carmona, M.D.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dharma_Singh_Khalsa

The guy is def out there making a buck.

http://www.drdharma.com/Public/Home/index.cfm

I am excited she said something, now I hope she follows through.
Soloma
Commander

Re: What has been working for you Rose?

Postby re-rose » Wed May 14, 2014 12:20 pm

Soloma,

I'm happy you are in a position to help your Mom get better. I have not read your links but as you know, I am a firm believer in Integrative Medicine, and wish more doctors had to vision to incorporate it into their practice.

The most important thing I have learned over the years that Alzheimer's is difficult to diagnose, even with today's technology, and that it is seldom an isolated disease.

Have you watched your Mom walk? There is a distinctive gait called the Parkinson's shuffle, that doctors miss. Early Parkinson's patients may complain of a tightness between their shoulder blades, and seem to need to clear their throats more often that normal. Lewy Bodies, a Parkinson's type dementia, is believed to be the second most common cause of dementia in the elderly. Some of the drugs used for treating one disease are harmful to the patient who really has the other disease.

Is she losing hair and gaining weight? Read up on hypothyroidism, make sure she has the comprehensive test done, and, if she needs it, takes natural thyroid, not synthetic. One symptom of hypothyroidsim is poor memory. Excessive throat clearing may also be a symptom of goiter or growth on the thyroid

Some other possible causes of cognitive impairment include B-12 deficiency, low blood sugar, grief, depression, mini-strokes, dehydration, urinary tract infections, poor sleep quality, and medication interactions. Any of these might occur anytime, so you need to be alert to sudden changes.

Never have a prescription filled for her before you research side effects, and if possible, user reviews, so that you know what to look out for. Try not to add more than one medication at a time. Some medications may cause "depression, mini-strokes, dehydration, urinary tract infections, poor sleep quality, and medication interactions", so you can easily find yourself chasing your tail.

I would also be leery of allowing her to have steroid injections that are commonly given for arthritic pain. They may have a long term effect on serotonin production capabilities. And if your Mom should need surgery for any reason, find out what you can about the anesthesia that will be used. Some may send her so far out she can't get back, mentally, to where she was before. In fact, any hospitalization period is likely to cause a set back.

In early/mid stages of Alzheimer's Aricept and Namenda are usually prescribed together. If her doctor suggests them, Start with one of them at time, and pay attention to side effects. If they appear, try to wait a week and see if she is able to adjust to the meds. They may have helped slow the progress of the disease for Mom, but she cannot tolerate any dosage increase in either of them.

I use isochronic beta enhancement, and deep relaxation tracks for her, along with the Quantum Infinity biofeedback system. Both seem to make a difference, at least, for a period of time afterward.

And, believe it or not, there has been a study performed which shows improved cognitive processing in the hours immediately following a rousing session of Bingo! I imagine Find a Word puzzle books or Sudoku, a game, solitaire, or any intellectual challenge may have the same effect. Teach your mom to play solitaire, or buy her an electronic poker game of some sort.

You are fortunate in that she seems not to have temporal lobe Alzheimer's. TLA produces extreme personality changes in which a person typically becomes suspicious, hostile, and agitated. But if she does become agitated, massage her hands with a hand cream or lotion containing lemon balm. I make my own herbal extract and mix it with drugstore lotion. A few drops of lavender oil on her pillow may help as well.

Some people swear that 3 tablespoons of coconut oil daily helps. That's a lot for someone to chug down, and I suspect your Mom would not want to leave the toilet afterward. It is usually provided by being used as a substitute cooking/salad oil, but you have zero chance of seeing that it is incorporated in the institutional diet. Perhaps you could bring her brownies, or cookies made with it.

Try to find allies for her by getting to know her caregivers and neighbors. They will often alert you to something she may forget to tell you. It will also help her to see the friendly, supportive interaction between you.

They say that one of the distinguishing characteristics of Alzheimer's is that when you try to tell a loved one that they are having observable memory problems, the response will be that "my memory is fine." That was true in our case. In 2005, I finally insisted Mom tell her regular Doctor that her daughter said she was observing memory problems. He poo-pooed the idea, with the derisive comment that I must 'be after her money.'

I tried to get Mom to begin a herbal treatment regimen at that time, bought her the herbs, put big labels on them and wrote out a schedule, but she was already beyond the point of being able to follow it. We have been through many doctors since then.

All of them would have missed the Thyroid/Alzheimer's/Parkinson's combination if I had not been there to describe what I was seeing. All of them, universally speaking, have prescribed medications of one type or another that did more harm than good.

If you have a firm diagnosis that your mother does have Alzheimer's, just remember that 'not curable' does not mean 'not treatable'. Many patients reach a certain plateau and seem to stay there forever. Some plateau for two years and then slip again, though younger patients with EOA or early onset Alzheimer's may have a more linear decline.

Your goals will change at each point. Right now, your focus should be on getting the best possible diagnosis. Mine, heading into year 10, are to extend this current plateau for as long as possible, and to keep the medical profession from sending her into a tailspin.

I hope some of this was helpful to you. Let me know if you have any specific question along the way.
big hugs to you and your Mom,
rose
re-rose
Lt. J. G.

Postby kevin » Wed May 14, 2014 12:42 pm

Soloma,

I have personally looked into this with My own strange senses.
My partners ( Suzi) mother had to go into a home because of this, but it gave Me close accesss to many, and nobody knows what I am about.
IMHO,
All memory is external to the body, totally symbiotically co-joined, but field based.
I can measure that field, and have taught Myself how to transfer some of My field to others, basically Reiki.

Have You ever really wondered as to how We access memory from say forty years ago instantly?
Perhaps the memory is there, but the access ability is impaired?

I am constantly warning of the dangers of mobile phones, wifi, tetra and generally digital and microwave devices.
Kevin
kevin
The Hobbit

Postby LuisP » Wed May 14, 2014 1:26 pm

My Prayers to you both, Rose and Soloman.

Tests of Will.
Terrible. And Terrifying.

Only the Best face them head up.
LuisP
Commander

Postby re-rose » Wed May 14, 2014 2:47 pm

Yes, Kev, I forgot to add that I and my healer friends use lots of therapeutic touch techniques with her. It becomes almost second nature.

Thanks, Luis. Persistence is important. The real unfortunates are those who have no qualified advocate to accompany them through the medical system.

rose
re-rose
Lt. J. G.

Postby Soloma » Wed May 14, 2014 4:25 pm

Thanks for all the responses.

Kevin, it seems to me the way we interact with these fields is through meditations and intention?

Rose, lot to chew on. I am not taking her in, my plan if she was serious is to play a supportive role from wherever I can. I will have to keep an eye out for the gate and complaints of pain when I see her. She has not lost hair or gained weight that I can tell.

Thanks for all the good info!
Soloma
Commander

Postby Mikado14 » Fri May 16, 2014 12:40 pm

Soloma,

My Father was diagnosed with dementia, never was diagnosed with Alzheimer's. Although he could remember things from years ago, remembering what he had for breakfast, the last time he took a shower, that I had visited and returned, that he let the dog out and forgot to let him in...the list goes on. They prescribed namenda but it really didn't do a thing. I believe it all began several years before the first signs appeared and was triggered by depression and PTSD.

One thing I did notice, and I agree with rose, try to keep your Mom mentally active in some manner with challenges. Card playing, games like trivial pursuit or just going for a ride and having a discussion about the sights and interacting them into your conversation. At times this helped but eventually, the depression won.

I wish you the best outcome possible and may it be above your expectations,

Mikado
The thing about Inner Circles is that they are like Boxes - difficult to think outside of them.

"When the Debate is Lost, Slander is the Tool of the Loser" SOCRATES

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.”
― Søren Kierkegaard
Mikado14
Commander

Location: Located where I want to be...or not...depends on the day.

Postby re-rose » Sat May 17, 2014 8:24 pm

I wish you the best outcome possible and may it be above your expectations,

I second this wish, Soloma, and add another: may all your forays into the medical system be fruitful. As you observe your mom,note each the individual symptoms on list. It will help her Doctor to see a more complete patient profile than he can glean in 5 or 10 minutes of face time.

The starting test you will want to look at and discuss with him will be the fasting blood panel, with lipids. This will tell you whether she has a blood sugar problem or cholesterol counts that might warrant arterial scans.

rose
re-rose
Lt. J. G.

Return to The Esoteric, the Metaphysical and Pseudoscience