The Magneto-Ultrasonic Nanomotor

No sides to this table. A place where anything goes. Just be polite and leave the hard core vulgarities alone, anyway, the forum won't let you post them.
Forum rules
Act like an adult, no prepubescent children, even if it means an argument but do so with a calm demeanor.

The Magneto-Ultrasonic Nanomotor

Postby LuisP » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:52 pm

A nanomotor is a molecular or nanoscale device capable of converting energy into movement.

A team of chemists and engineers led by Thomas E. Mallouk, a “Evan Pugh” * Professor of Materials Chemistry and Physics at Penn State University, have - for the first time - placed tiny synthetic motors inside live human cells, propelled by ultrasonic waves and steered magnetically.

The researchers' findings were published in the “Angewandte Chemie International Edition” on 10 February 2014.

"Our first-generation motors required toxic fuels and they would not move in biological fluid, so we couldn't study them in human cells," Mallouk said.
But Mallouk and French physicist Mauricio Hoyos have discovered that nanomotors could be powered by ultrasonic waves, which then opened the door to studying the motors in living systems.

So, to clarify :
- For the first time – ever - working tiny synthetic motors were put inside live human cells.
- The key to making them work in living cells was to power them with ultrasonic waves instead of toxic fuels.
- These ultrasound pulses are used to control the nanomotors spin around or to move them forward, and magnetic forces are then used to control the motors even further by steering them.

“The nanomotors move around within a single cell tissue. At low ultrasonic power”, Mallouk explained, “the nanomotors have little effect on the cells. But when the power is increased, the nanomotors spring into action.”

"As these nanomotors move around and bump into structures inside the cells, the live cells show internal mechanical responses that no one has seen before," professor Tom Mallouk said.

Oh, yes …
For their cell experiments with this Magneto-Ultrasonic Nanomotor** ?
They used HeLa cells.
And killed them.

But that’s not the point, is it ?

Announcement here : http://science.psu.edu/news-and-events/ ... louk2-2014

* Since 1960, only sixty-five professors have earned the title of “Evan Pugh Professor”. Chosen for the honor because he or she "has displayed the courage to pioneer in his or her field, the discipline to remain at the forefront of research, and the generosity of spirit to share these accomplishments with students" . These professors are humanists as well as scientists.
** I coined that name. They call it “Acoustic Propulsion of Nanorod Motors”.
LuisP
Commander

Re: The Magneto-Ultrasonic Nanomotor

Postby Fruitbat » Wed May 21, 2014 8:28 pm

May I ask, what is a hela cell Luis?

FB.
Empty Vessels (and reverse biased semiconductors) make the most noise.
Fruitbat
Petty Officer 1st Class

Postby LuisP » Thu May 22, 2014 3:30 pm

Not, I think, what you may be thinking FB.

They are not "power" cells, just Human.

If even then still interested, check viewtopic.php?f=51&t=1105 where I explain what I understood of them

And if really interested in what they "infer" to the all related threads I've opened and which, basically, from my point of view, share a lot of "similarities", you could also follow onwards with viewtopic.php?f=51&t=1095

And maybe by then, you may start to "see" what I think I "saw".
And gnaws me.

Mind you, it is but just a "component" of the overall "circuit".

No one has been yet able to "build" it. Just, at best, glimpsed and "seen" some ot its "components".

That is why - to me - it is so important to tackle ONE of its parts with ALL of each one's individual "expertise".

Doctors will look at human cells. Scientists of seeds at ferns and corn, maybe fish and rats if allowed. Genetic investigators at DNA. Physicists at "aether" and "gravitional waves". Cosmologists at "noise". Engineers at Electricity. Paranormal "experts" at "Consciousness". Self Educated or Inspired at whatever "sparked" them.
And so on and so forth.

All of them "finding" something ... which is, I have come to suspect - and it drives me crazy - nothing but a "component" of a "circuit".

Only U-Boat Kapitans - from the modesty of my 8 months experience about this ! - "sense" the "Whole Circuit" and its Singleness, and try to tackle it at its "roots".

And before you may infer - if you haven't already - that here I am making another point about JH, let me tell you that he is not the only one. There are a few - very few, but a few - of these Kapitans.

Most of them (the ones I know about, that is !) are already dead, normally or "suddenly". Others are still out there. Still.

No one listens, or maybe those who do, only do it so to better silence them.

And that, FB, is MY point.

I will never be a part of that silence. Comes what gives.

Now, you asked me about HeLa cells, right ?

There you have. My answer

To my humble me, these guys are on the right track.
LuisP
Commander

Postby kevin » Thu May 22, 2014 3:49 pm

Henrietta Lacks cancer cells.
Kevin
kevin
The Hobbit

Postby Fruitbat » Thu May 22, 2014 8:28 pm

I'm following closer than you might have been led to believe luis, and with some considerable interest.
More later, maybe, I am short of time right now.

FB.
Empty Vessels (and reverse biased semiconductors) make the most noise.
Fruitbat
Petty Officer 1st Class

Return to The Round Table