Autophagia

No sides to this table. A place where anything goes. Just be polite and leave the hard core vulgarities alone, anyway, the forum won't let you post them.
Forum rules
Act like an adult, no prepubescent children, even if it means an argument but do so with a calm demeanor.

Autophagia

Postby LuisP » Wed May 07, 2014 7:38 pm

Autophagia Is the act of eating parts of one's own body.

Cases of self-cannibalism among Humans are very rare and have only been documented a number of times in the psychological and psychiatric literature.

But exist.

Dr Friedemann Pfafflin, a forensic psychotherapist at Ulm University, in Germany, asserts
- “apart from acts of cannibalism arising from situations of extreme necessity…the cannibalistic deeds of individuals are always an expression of severe psychopathology”.

Autophagia is not classified as a mental disorder in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM), the diagnostic manual used in the United States.

However, Autophagia could be classified under the DSM's “Impulse-Control Disorders Not Elsewhere Classified”.

Impulse-Control Disorders

Are characterized by five behavioral stages :
(a) an impulse,
(b) growing tension,
(c) pleasure on acting,
(d) relief from the urge
(e) and finally guilt ((which may or may not arise).

- It Involves failing to resist an impulse, drive, or temptation to perform an act that is harmful to the person or to others.
- The majority of individuals will often feel a sense of tension or arousal before committing the act, and then experience pleasure, gratification or relief at the time of committing the act.
- Once the act has been completed, the individual may or may not feel regret, self-reproach, or guilt.

Credits :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autophagia
http://drmarkgriffiths.wordpress.com/20 ... arcophagy/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impulse_control_disorder
LuisP
Commander

Re: Autophagia

Postby re-rose » Wed May 07, 2014 9:46 pm

- It Involves failing to resist an impulse, drive, or temptation to perform an act that is harmful to the person or to others.
- The majority of individuals will often feel a sense of tension or arousal before committing the act, and then experience pleasure, gratification or relief at the time of committing the act.

It has to do with neurotransmitters...serotonin is needed and a release of the requiste amount must somehow be triggered, even if in holistically unhealthy ways. At least, that would be my medical hypothesis.

rose
re-rose
Lt. J. G.

Postby StarCat » Wed May 07, 2014 10:38 pm

Serotonin and probably endorphins too.

Cat
StarCat
Commander

Postby TheTraveler » Thu May 08, 2014 9:12 am

WOW.. I'm sure a chatty Kathy today.

Yikes, this thread could easily lead to the dark side!!! :twisted:
The Traveler
------------
"Not everything that counts can be counted. And not everything that can be counted, counts"
TheTraveler
Chief Petty Officer

Postby Mikado14 » Thu May 08, 2014 11:31 am

The topics that arise. I think I will bow out and let this one stay red on my index.
The thing about Inner Circles is that they are like Boxes - difficult to think outside of them.

"When the Debate is Lost, Slander is the Tool of the Loser" SOCRATES

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.”
― Søren Kierkegaard
Mikado14
Commander

Location: Located where I want to be...or not...depends on the day.

Postby LuisP » Thu May 08, 2014 5:16 pm

So, "seratonin" and "endorphins".

Like, a daily "pill" of those might cure it ? Damn, might want to say so to some people.

For it might save a lot of "autophagiaing" going on in some places.
LuisP
Commander

Return to The Round Table