Building Bridges

No sides to this table. A place where anything goes. Just be polite and leave the hard core vulgarities alone, anyway, the forum won't let you post them.
Forum rules
Act like an adult, no prepubescent children, even if it means an argument but do so with a calm demeanor.

Re: Building Bridges

Postby Mikado14 » Sat May 17, 2014 2:10 pm

We may be talking two different principles.

What I understand from your definition is when confronted with something "new", you are referencing the creation of a "new" equation. Do I have that correct?
The thing about Inner Circles is that they are like Boxes - difficult to think outside of them.

"When the Debate is Lost, Slander is the Tool of the Loser" SOCRATES

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.”
― Søren Kierkegaard
Mikado14
Commander

Location: Located where I want to be...or not...depends on the day.

Postby wags » Sat May 17, 2014 2:16 pm

Mikado14 wrote:We may be talking two different principles.

What I understand from your definition is when confronted with something "new", you are referencing the creation of a "new" equation. Do I have that correct?

Essentially Yes. But there are other physical principles that determine these things. Not easy to define in a forum post.
Boswell : ‘I have provided you with an argument, but I am not obliged to supply an understanding"
wags
Commander

Postby Mikado14 » Sat May 17, 2014 3:02 pm

I see. What I was referencing was existing equations. For example, the equations for reactance, capacitive or inductive. Or the formulas for a simple transistor circuit of which most are based upon Ohm's law.

So, I was only referencing the situation of existing equations that are used in an application, already engineered.

And I agree with you in regards to the forum but, I believe that anything "new" must, I repeat must, have equations derived from a data set. I knew someone who felt that equations should come first but if you don't have data to "create" the equation, how do you know how to derive such?

Mikado
The thing about Inner Circles is that they are like Boxes - difficult to think outside of them.

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.”
― Søren Kierkegaard
Mikado14
Commander

Postby wags » Sat May 17, 2014 3:06 pm

Mikado14 wrote:I see. What I was referencing was existing equations. For example, the equations for reactance, capacitive or inductive. Or the formulas for a simple transistor circuit of which most are based upon Ohm's law.

So, I was only referencing the situation of existing equations that are used in an application, already engineered.

And I agree with you in regards to the forum but, I believe that anything "new" must, I repeat must, have equations derived from a data set. I knew someone who felt that equations should come first but if you don't have data to "create" the equation, how do you know how to derive such?

Mikado

Tend to agree except if you are devising the experiment in the first place and how to obtain a reliable high quality data set becomes essential.
Boswell : ‘I have provided you with an argument, but I am not obliged to supply an understanding"
wags
Commander

Postby Mikado14 » Sat May 17, 2014 3:08 pm

wags wrote:
Tend to agree except if you are devising the experiment in the first place and how to obtain a reliable high quality data set becomes essential.

Absofreakin'lutely!!

Could not agree anymore.(as my above wording should indicate <g>)

Mikado

― Søren Kierkegaard
Mikado14
Commander

Postby re-rose » Sun May 18, 2014 10:39 am

Mikado14 wrote:
wags wrote:

Absofreakin'lutely!!

Mikado

And where a new cause/effect relationship is claimed to have been discovered, must one understand how it works in order to collect data to prove or disprove the claim? I think not, but then I'm simple like that.

rose
re-rose
Lt. J. G.

Postby Mikado14 » Sun May 18, 2014 12:47 pm

re-rose wrote:
Mikado14 wrote:
wags wrote:

Absofreakin'lutely!!

Mikado

And where a new cause/effect relationship is claimed to have been discovered, must one understand how it works in order to collect data to prove or disprove the claim? I think not, but then I'm simple like that.

rose

I repeat my post from above:

Absofreakin'lutely!!

Mikado

― Søren Kierkegaard
Mikado14
Commander

Postby wags » Sun May 18, 2014 1:16 pm

Mikado14 wrote:
re-rose wrote:
Mikado14 wrote:
wags wrote:

Absofreakin'lutely!!

Mikado

rose

I repeat my post from above:

Absofreakin'lutely!!

Mikado

Yes I also go along with all that Rose.
wags
Commander

Postby TheTraveler » Mon May 19, 2014 9:43 am

If I may..

The problem with all the above, is that while I agree that education should be and is about the process of learning how to learn, the established standards in society today is that without that "paper education", one is not qualifies to be smarter or excel further than one who is not.

In our society there is little room for the uneducated to hold positions of power and rank, for they never went to school and learned the way to learn. To me, the truly educated person has nothing to do with going to school. Can it help, and is it necessary; in most cases yes. But just as with our scientific community, who are most often closed minded to many new thoughts and ideas, the public in general consider those who are uneducated to be somehow inferior, for after all, they do not have the holy paper.

I could go on here with stories about the many people I have hired over the years, but this is one of my hot spots for I have seen many individuals over time, who for whatever reason, did not or could not receive a "proper education" but in some mystical way were in fact the real reason that their superiors succeeded instead of failed.

Anyway, that is just my opinion.
The Traveler
------------
"Not everything that counts can be counted. And not everything that can be counted, counts"
TheTraveler
Chief Petty Officer

Postby Mikado14 » Mon May 19, 2014 10:05 am

The mediocre riding on the backs of the brilliant?

Sounds like any corporate structure.

Mikado

― Søren Kierkegaard
Mikado14
Commander

PreviousNext

Return to The Round Table