Building Bridges

No sides to this table. A place where anything goes. Just be polite and leave the hard core vulgarities alone, anyway, the forum won't let you post them.
Forum rules
Act like an adult, no prepubescent children, even if it means an argument but do so with a calm demeanor.

Re: Building Bridges

Postby Fruitbat » Sat May 24, 2014 9:10 pm

I think we gonna need the psychological equivalent of Isombard Kingdom Brunel to build this bridge, Rose.

(Sorry, my mum told me to never pick at a metaphor, cos it can leave an unsightly scar, but sometimes you just can't resist)

FB.
Empty Vessels (and reverse biased semiconductors) make the most noise.
Fruitbat
Petty Officer 1st Class

Postby re-rose » Sat May 24, 2014 10:23 pm

If I understood your metaphor, Bat, I might give you the exact same advice you got from dear old Mom. But tonight I am TTTG. (too tired to Google. I'll catch up tomorrow.

Mikado, whatever you say, Dear. Have some dueling Banjos, Tesla style:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... ksRAGa9bLk

rose
re-rose
Lt. J. G.

Postby StarCat » Sat May 24, 2014 11:40 pm

Now I have the mental image of Rose and Mikado sitting in their rockers picking banjos at each other. Awesome.

Cat
StarCat
Commander

Postby LuisP » Sun May 25, 2014 8:39 am

Fruitbat wrote:I think we gonna need the psychological equivalent of Isombard Kingdom Brunel to build this bridge, Rose.

(Sorry, my mum told me to never pick at a metaphor, cos it can leave an unsightly scar, but sometimes you just can't resist)

FB.

A long voyage starts with a small step.

Don't take it, and you will never make it.
LuisP
Commander

Postby re-rose » Sun May 25, 2014 10:59 am

StarCat wrote:Now I have the mental image of Rose and Mikado sitting in their rockers picking banjos at each other. Awesome.

Cat

That made me laugh. I'm sure we'd get into a squabble over who hit the wrong note.

Okay, Bat. In the clear light of day, I see that your metaphor has nothing to do with the Kingdom of Brunei. Yes, an Isombard would be helpful.

rose
re-rose
Lt. J. G.

Postby Mikado14 » Sun May 25, 2014 12:48 pm

Isambard...Great Western Railway
The thing about Inner Circles is that they are like Boxes - difficult to think outside of them.

"When the Debate is Lost, Slander is the Tool of the Loser" SOCRATES

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.”
― Søren Kierkegaard
Mikado14
Commander

Location: Located where I want to be...or not...depends on the day.

Another Bridge Builder

Postby re-rose » Fri May 30, 2014 12:32 pm

Charles T. Tart, on the 2009 publication of The End of Materialism

Professor Tart writes:

I am proud to finally announce the 2009 publication of what may be my most important book, The End of Materialism: How Evidence of the Paranormal is Bringing Science and Spirit Together. Three+ years to write, fifty+ years to prepare to write.

I met with a dozen staff members of my publisher, New Harbinger, in Oakland in late 2008, and they asked me to tell them, in a few words, why the book was important? What could they tell potential readers? I responded with a question: how many of them had some sort of personal spiritual practice, such as meditation or prayer?

I had just met these folks, so this was a rather personal question to ask them to respond to in front of a group, but this was California, we’re supposed to be honest and open folks, and after a few seconds everybody’s hand went up.

I looked at them gravely, and after a few seconds of silence told them that, if I spoke from the apparent position of a modern scientist, which I certainly was, I would have to tell them that they were all fools! Ignorant fools at best, neurotic fools at worst. Didn’t they know that science had long ago shown that all religion and spirituality were nonsense, the only reality was that of the physical world?

Like most of us, I have a strong need to be liked, so I felt like I was taking a risk in calling them fools, but I wanted to quickly get across the main thrust of The End of Materialism: in modern life many of us do believe that science has shown all spirituality to be nonsense. Yet my experience, both personally and professionally, has convinced me that there is some real and vitally important sense in which we do have a spiritual nature, and to deny and repress it wounds and lessens us.

http://blog.paradigm-sys.com/about-dr-t ... terialism/
re-rose
Lt. J. G.

Re: Another Bridge Builder

Postby LuisP » Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:08 pm

re-rose wrote:Charles T. Tart, on the 2009 publication of The End of Materialism

Professor Tart writes:

".... I wanted to quickly get across the main thrust of The End of Materialism: in modern life many of us do believe that science has shown all spirituality to be nonsense. Yet my experience, both personally and professionally, has convinced me that there is some real and vitally important sense in which we do have a spiritual nature, and to deny and repress it wounds and lessens us.

I do not think science "has shown all spirituality to be nonsense". Quite the opposite. Problem lies with which "science" one has access to, and knows about.

"... there is some real and vitally important sense in which we do have a spiritual nature, and to deny and repress it wounds and lessens us..."

Enough said.
LuisP
Commander

Postby LuisP » Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:48 pm

Some of extremely interesting "bridge builders" are complete, totally anonymous men and women.

Unknown.

Until they're found, that is...
LuisP
Commander

Previous

Return to The Round Table