Book Project - Something Different Though

No sides to this table. A place where anything goes. Just be polite and leave the hard core vulgarities alone, anyway, the forum won't let you post them.
Forum rules
Act like an adult, no prepubescent children, even if it means an argument but do so with a calm demeanor.

Book Project - Something Different Though

Postby wags » Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:56 am

I have been slowly sorting out my library and came across a Complete IT Project that I wrote twenty years ago and it is really complete down to fine detail. Now it is obsolete as designed but it is generic and it has occurred to me that I could turn into a quite unique Training Program/analysis. The actual application was converting any database to another database and it is totally modular. I can see that I have written all the programs in puedo code that could cross over in ideas if nothing else and the use of standards.

It will all sound a bit 'geeky' but as a concept what do you reckon? I have done all the hard work it is effectively done without the training part but I have a structure for that somewhere else.
Boswell : ‘I have provided you with an argument, but I am not obliged to supply an understanding"
wags
Commander

Re: Book Project - Something Different Though

Postby LuisP » Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:23 pm

I can't make head from tails of what you are talking about Wags, since I'm soft and hardware challenged /illiterate.
Strictly a User I am.

Like the vast majority.

More the reason then for someone unlike that vast, illiterate majority, to pursue their "geek" projects to the point of seeing if they have what it takes to achieve practical usability.

For who knows what then might happen !

Plus, it sounds like a project close to your interests and one where you now have 20 years of experience on top of the Wags that "had all the work". Who knows what you will be able to see and improve over what he did !

I mean, what are you waiting for ? Some other illiterate opinion on this ?
LuisP
Commander

Postby wags » Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:06 am

LuisP wrote:I can't make head from tails of what you are talking about Wags, since I'm soft and hardware challenged /illiterate.
Strictly a User I am.

Like the vast majority.

More the reason then for someone unlike that vast, illiterate majority, to pursue their "geek" projects to the point of seeing if they have what it takes to achieve practical usability.

For who knows what then might happen !

Plus, it sounds like a project close to your interests and one where you now have 20 years of experience on top of the Wags that "had all the work". Who knows what you will be able to see and improve over what he did !

I mean, what are you waiting for ? Some other illiterate opinion on this ?

The idea is that it is a training book for analysts and it is far more useful hearing feedback from you than someone who has preconceived notions of such things. The idea is to encourage original solutions to complex IT relational problems. It is as much an art as anything.

It was all my own original work. Every word, concept and design.

I have two books that are called 'The Pick Perspective' and ''Pick for Professionals, they are both books that stand out as practical, informative and help make better Analyst/Programmers.

Your Feedback was greatly appreciated.

Oh and I have found more material.
Boswell : ‘I have provided you with an argument, but I am not obliged to supply an understanding"
wags
Commander

Postby LuisP » Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:03 pm

Well, if more “material” has been found I think we might be looking at a Trilogy, which is great, for it works better than 2 books !!

Now I must say this Wags - I’m afraid your titles sound too British and so are as equally boringly unsexy. Far as I see it, they’d have to go, sorry.

With a ( so to speak) Triptic masterpiece in mind, I’d be looking at something along the lines of
Book I - “DATABASE – Do it like a Pro”
Book II - “DATABASE – Original Solutions to Complex Problems”
Book III – “DATABASE – Analyst/ Programmer vs The Artista ”

In fact, I think that the breadth and scope of this last book’s theme is so ambitious that it will surely imply a Book IV, a sequel, the likes of “DATABASE – The Artista Redux” !

Maybe you should give it some serious thinking …. who knows, Wags ?
LuisP
Commander

Postby wags » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:29 am

LuisP wrote:Well, if more “material” has been found I think we might be looking at a Trilogy, which is great, for it works better than 2 books !!

Now I must say this Wags - I’m afraid your titles sound too British and so are as equally boringly unsexy. Far as I see it, they’d have to go, sorry.

With a ( so to speak) Triptic masterpiece in mind, I’d be looking at something along the lines of
Book I - “DATABASE – Do it like a Pro”
Book II - “DATABASE – Original Solutions to Complex Problems”
Book III – “DATABASE – Analyst/ Programmer vs The Artista ”

In fact, I think that the breadth and scope of this last book’s theme is so ambitious that it will surely imply a Book IV, a sequel, the likes of “DATABASE – The Artista Redux” !

Maybe you should give it some serious thinking …. who knows, Wags ?

I have no title at present, the titles were other books. I am thinking of a non dry title. I have not given it a great deal of thought.

But your suggestions are welcome. You highlight precisely the challenge, it must be readable and understandable. It is an inspirational book rather than a manual. A tough trick to pull off!

A non IT viewpoint is exactly what I wanted, thanks. Always have a working assumption that the reader has no knowledge of the subject., and mindful that others have greater.
wags
Commander

Postby LuisP » Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:10 pm

Well, hope you do find a way to get that project going, and here's my best of to it !
LuisP
Commander

Return to The Round Table