East Coast Research and Development Conference 2015

No sides to this table. A place where anything goes. Just be polite and leave the hard core vulgarities alone, anyway, the forum won't let you post them.
Forum rules
Act like an adult, no prepubescent children, even if it means an argument but do so with a calm demeanor.

East Coast Research and Development Conference 2015

Postby Chris Knight » Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:30 am

All,

Mikado and I have been pretty quiet this past week - I don't know about him, but I have been recuperating from the 2015 East Coast Research and Development Conference (I know - already another year). This year we had it in Brunswick, Maine, which is really a beautiful town if any of you have been to Maine. Aside from the history, of course, Bowdoin College is there, and nearby Bath has a rich history of shipbuilding. Not to mention the seafood ! That's my advertisement for Maine, and since I had the pleasure of pulling together the speakers for the conference, I have to admit that I voted for Brunswick.

I wanted to summarize a bit of the conference, because it really was a great time ! Our keynote speaker gave a presentation on a field called total immersion virtual reality. If any of you have access to Netflix, there is an anime on there called Sword of Art Online that uses a helmet as a device to allow players to interact fully with a virtual world. It's actually a fairly well-made anime series. In any case, I'm sure several significant obstacles are immediately obvious - the first of them being to paralyze the physical body, while allowing neural functioning to continue, and the second being the sensory linkage to the virtual world (sight, sound, hearing, touch, smell).

At lunch, after the presentation , the conversations were dominated by how significantly the structure of civilization would change if people could "upload" their minds into a virtual world, or similar to the movie, Surrogates (with Bruce Willis), in which people could upload their minds into sophisticated robots. If you remember the movie, Avatar, there were cases afterwards in which people went into depression because that world didn't exist. Civilization would be radically altered.

On Sunday morning, after the conference, a small group of us were invited to a BBQ in Kennebunkport. It turns out the couple had a place just up the lane from the Bush family compound ! The photo here is of me and Mikado in front of the compound by the anchor memorial. Mikado looks a little nonplussed because I am teasing him about his hand, which is bandaged (Kim may have a better photo). The evening before, we had a demonstration of electrostatic vs. magnetic containment systems. We were all standing around the devices, and someone stumbled against the table fairly hard. Mikado reached out quickly to stabilize one of the machines and cut his hand in the webbing right next to his thumb. We had someone take him to a nearby ER for some stitches, but they were back in time for dinner. Needless to say, he got teased a bit about it, but the presenter really felt bad ! She said that she would design better guard plates around the core in the future !

The NDA on these conferences is pretty tight (sorry for the lack of any photos). Mikado will be able to confirm that - he knows his NDAs ! Lol. A few other topics were effective means to shield our deteriorating power infrastructure from solar aberrations/flares; storage systems for alternate energy source for off-peak consumption; and the nuclear battery of Dr. Paul Brown.

I don't know how many people actually read these forums aside from the usual regulars here, but there is an amazing universe out there, and if you are willing to put in time, energy, and finances, there are groups of like-minded people who have done just that. I wish that younger people could gain some inspiration and direction, and not get all tangled up in the Brown/Leach mess that I did when I was 19 years old !

It doesn't take a lot to get far if you just do a little bit every day and stick to it. This group is only for those who have done just that - put their money where their mouths are - no armchair philosophers !

Cheers,

Andy
Attachments
IMG_1505.JPG
IMG_1507.JPG
You want a diamond ring ? I can get it for you.
You want a thingy-thing ? I can get it for you.
Chris Knight
Lt. Commander

Re: East Coast Research and Development Conference 2015

Postby re-rose » Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:13 pm

Andy, but then you and Mikado would not be standing there, together. Thanks for the report. Sounds like a great conference. I didn't write up the one I attended recently, but Cynthia did a great condensation. It was an intense three days:
https://cynthiasuelarson.wordpress.com/ ... f-mind-ii/

Mikado, I'm sure you would always grab for the devices first, come fire or flood. I do hope you are right-handed.

rose
re-rose
Lt. J. G.

Postby Kim » Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:44 pm

image.jpg

Well Andy I don't know if it's a better picture, just a little closer. Believe me, Mikado won't soon forget this conference and neither will I. Kim
What we take time to dream, do we dare make reality?
Kim
Lt. Commander

Postby re-rose » Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:07 pm

But was that bandage still so pristine after eating Bar-b-cue?
re-rose
Lt. J. G.

Postby Chris Knight » Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:21 pm

Lol.

Kim said it got a bit stinky, but I think you are thinking of BBQ ribs, rather than a BBQ with steak and burgers.

Andy
You want a diamond ring ? I can get it for you.
You want a thingy-thing ? I can get it for you.
Chris Knight
Lt. Commander

Postby re-rose » Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:28 am

Chris Knight wrote:Lol.

Kim said it got a bit stinky, but I think you are thinking of BBQ ribs, rather than a BBQ with steak and burgers.

Andy

If you need a clothespin, Kim, I've got one for you.

Andy, you are right. I forget that y'all go to a Bar-b-que. We Southerners eat it...ribs, chicken, pulled pork, brisket, always with with lots of sauce. Anything else was always just a cook-out to us.

rose
re-rose
Lt. J. G.

Postby Mikado14 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:57 am

Bar B Que lobster........nah.

No, it really didn't get "stinky" but it was changed several times due to just getting dirty. I am bandage free and it looks disgusting. And now I have a "war story"......lol.

Mikado
The thing about Inner Circles is that they are like Boxes - difficult to think outside of them.

"When the Debate is Lost, Slander is the Tool of the Loser" SOCRATES

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.”
― Søren Kierkegaard
Mikado14
Commander

Location: Located where I want to be...or not...depends on the day.

Postby Kim » Sat Sep 05, 2015 11:06 am

Thanks for the use of a clothes pin Rose, but I have some. Don't let Mikado fool you, it was a little stinky, but that was expected. As stated we did have to change it a few times because he just couldn't stop using it. But the pain would remind him, if only for a little while lol. I'm sure he can't wait to get the stitches out! Kim
What we take time to dream, do we dare make reality?
Kim
Lt. Commander

Postby StarCat » Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:39 pm

Peroxide, cuticle scissors, and tweezers. Just snip the knots and yank those things out. Nurse Cat says it's safe. I had my daughter pull min for me. They were getting infected, and I didn't want an ER trip.

Cat
StarCat
Commander

Postby kevin » Sat Sep 05, 2015 2:03 pm

Left hand injury.
It must be catching, I did mine last week taking a metal bed apart, had a big silly bandage similer.
It's not easy trying to control two mastweilers with one hand.
http://mastweiler.muslovedogs.com/cm/
Our youngest son and wife are in Italy, at the Monza race.
So We are dog sitting their dog which is sister to ours.
Kevin
kevin
The Hobbit

Next

Return to The Round Table