Emma Crawford Coffin Races

No sides to this table. A place where anything goes. Just be polite and leave the hard core vulgarities alone, anyway, the forum won't let you post them.
Forum rules
Act like an adult, no prepubescent children, even if it means an argument but do so with a calm demeanor.

Emma Crawford Coffin Races

Postby StarCat » Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:14 pm

October 24, 2015 marked the 21st running of the Emma Crawford Coffin Races in Manitou Springs, CO. The event was inspired by, and named for, local resident Emma Crawford. Emma was born in Massachusetts, on March 24, 1863. She contracted tuberculosis as a child. As a young woman, she moved, with her mother, to Manitou Springs, in the hope of the clean mountain air remitting her tuberculosis. It helpex, for a time, and Emma was able to climb Red Mountain, a local peak. Unfortunately, the remission of her tuberculosis didn't last, and she passed from this place on December 4, 1891. Owing to her dislike of cemeteries, she was buried on Red Mountain.

Emmy's story took a turn for the worse after her burial. Rather than leave the unfortunate young woman's remains in peace, the Red Mountain Incline Train moved her coffin in order to erect a power station at the summit of Red Mountain. Her coffin was moved to the west side of the mountain, placed in loose gravel, and covered with a concrete slab. That should have been the end of the story.

The rest of the story... A few years after the reburial, Colorado's perverse weather provided a torrential rain storm that washed away a large portion of the west side of Red Mountain, including Emma's coffin. This was apparently the last straw. Emma is reported to have taken up the afterlife occupation of haunting the town, and Miramont Castle in particular. In another instance of Colorado perversity and ingenuity, the Coffin Races were initiated in 1995 to honor her spirit, while having a bit of crazy fun.

The event draws people from all over the region, as well as from other states, and even other countries. It includes a pre-race parade of hearse and the racing teams. This year's event included Mikado Burgundy and his news team, Doc Brown and Marty McFly, and the Wicked Witch of the West, with her flying monkeys. Assorted other entities, some of which I didn't recognize, were also present.

It really is a unique and fun event. For anyone making a fall trip to Colorado, I recommend putting it on your must see list. It also has its own Facebook page, where information and pictures can be found.

Cat
StarCat
Commander

Re: Emma Crawford Coffin Races

Postby Mikado14 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:08 pm

I know Kim and I would enjoy it!

https://www.facebook.com/ManitouSprings ... offinRaces

Some of those coffins looked like the participants get fairly involved.

Mikado
The thing about Inner Circles is that they are like Boxes - difficult to think outside of them.

"When the Debate is Lost, Slander is the Tool of the Loser" SOCRATES

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.”
― Søren Kierkegaard
Mikado14
Commander

Location: Located where I want to be...or not...depends on the day.

Re: Emma Crawford Coffin Races

Postby StarCat » Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:52 pm

Each coffin has a theme, chosen by entrants. Each coffin has an Emma, plus four pallbearers to push it. Manitou Avenue is uphill and in the mountains. Pushing a loaded coffin can't be easy. I think some of the groups participate each year. The event is likely to grow even more popular, now that Manitou Springs has retail marijuana outlets. That was up for a vote last year. It seems that people wanted to get in on the tax revenue that recreational sales generate. Or, in Manitou, at least, they wanted local availability.

Cat
StarCat
Commander

Return to The Round Table