The Family Genes Part III

The key to understanding a person is to see how and what they write. Copyright is owned by the poster in this forum. The Hut will not own it.

Postby Mikado14 » Sat May 30, 2015 11:36 am

©1980 & 2015 Hickory Ridge

Dane looked at Betty and then back to the Betty standing next to Uncle Buck. Jay looked at the Betty who was next to Buck and said hello and commented that he saw her at the portal when Buck went forward.

Young Betty sat there and stared at old Betty. Buck stood and watched the younger Betty gaping and chuckled. "Confusing? Paradox? Probably, but nothing like what is going on at the moment." Buck walked over to the young Betty. "How are you doing?"

"Apparently not as good as I will be in about 30 years."

"Betty, this is enough of an aberration of time for you to see yourself but you have to trust me and," Buck paused to find the right words,"...and yourself, that this is going to be okay."

Jay interrupted, "Okay, let's watch the chit chat. What's your plan Buck?"

Buck walked over to Dane and put his hands on her shoulders, "You are going to go back and see your Mom" with that, Dane put her arms around her uncle and held him. He continued, "And you too Jay." He released his niece and then turned to Betty. "Your going too. Betty and I, your older version, are going to run things here. All three of you need to go back."

"Why?" asked young Betty.

"Because you do." was all Buck said and she replied, "Why?" with that, the older Betty came over to herself, "Because young lady, certain events will be set in motion."

"What events?"

The older Betty turned to Buck, "Was I always this stubborn?"

As he went over to girl and attached a note to her collar he replied, "Mostly" and Betty shook her head.

Buck announced, "Okay, you all need to get ready. Jay, go bring the tractor up to PTO, Betty and I will get things set up." With that, both Betty's went to the console, "No, not you, you get ready to go through the portal, help Dane out with the boxes." Young Betty slowly went over to get ready to go with resigned resignation of the situation. She reasoned that it already happened from her older point of view therefore, she decided to have faith in herself.

Buck heard the tractor ramp up and in a few minutes, Jay came through the door. "Okay Buck, all looks good."

Girl was up and by the portal and waiting for the others or for the portal to open, you never know what goes on in the mind of a dog but whatever it was, she was impatiently waiting.

Jay, Dane and Betty grabbed as much as each could carry. Buck walked over to young Betty, "Here, can you carry this?" Betty adjusted the load and took it, "What is it?" she asked.
All Buck said was, "Something you might want. You'll know when to open it." He turned and went to the console with his Betty.

"Okay, waveform is almost stable. Frequencies are modulating and it...yep, we have a stable wave...... Standing wave is stable."

Older Betty chimed in,"Okay, we are building for charge.....get ready in 3, 2, 1...engaging the bank!" With that, the tractor deepened its tone and the lights dimmed. Dane stood there in nervous anticipation. She thought about the times she watched others do this. She looked down at girl and saw how intent she was watching the portal. She looked up and watched the effect in the center of the portal and felt anxiety, a nervous anticipation that came over her and then the shards in the portal snapped back and there was the meadow along with Granpa and young Uncle Buck standing there. She was brought back to the moment by Buck saying "Go".

"Jay, I attached a note to girl's collar for you with some instructions. Tell my nephew not to worry, I have some good help on my end. See you in about an hour".

As Jay was stepping through the portal he turned to nod his head and he saw Rory walk through the door into the shop.

Granpa was by the fence row in the meadow patiently waiting. The note he received from Buck, of the future, said to be here about noon and be ready for visitors. Buck dropped off John and Kathy at the dam to set up. He came back and parked his car down on the other side of the covered bridge where it was before. He hurried to the meadow and stood alongside his Dad and waited. They weren't there long until the distinctive sound of the portal was heard. Both turned and watched it form and open. Granpa watched as Dane, Jay, Betty and girl came through all carrying a few boxes. The portal closed behind them with a rumble. Granpa and Buck hurried over to help with the boxes.

They greeted each other and on the advice of Granpa, all of them hurriedly exited the meadow and made way for Buck's car on the other side of the bridge.

"What day is it?" asked Jay. "Its Sunday." answered Granpa.

"Sunday as in yesterday was the Saturday this all started?" and as they walked he said, "Yep, what about you?"

"It's been a week getting ready."

Granpa commented, "gotta get used to this time stuff." With that, the group made way to Buck's car.

When they got there, all the boxes were put into the trunk. Jay, Dane and Betty got into the backseat with Buck, girl and Granpa up front.

"So where are we going?" asked Dane.

"Well, difficult decision. I decided that we are going to the dam for a picnic. Your Mom, Dad and Rory are there and waiting." replied Granpa.

Buck started the car and pulled out and made a quick turn down the road that went to the dam. Jay looked out the window and watched the scenery go by. He wondered about the timeline Rory came from. Staring at the trees, he remembered how they looked when he and Rory went to the dam. The reality of the current timeline he was in, slowly took root in his mind.

As the car pulled up to the dam, Buck parked on the ramp and everyone exited. Granpa hollered, "John?"

From the other side he heard him holler back and he saw them on the other side as they walked toward the dam to cross.

Granpa turned to Dane, "Hon, I want you to go behind the car until your Mom gets here, remember, to her, she doesn't know you." She nodded and turned to go behind the car.

Kathy walked across the dam in quick time as John was busy trying to keep up. When she reached the car, Kathy hurriedly asked, "Where's Dane?"

Granpa grabbed Kathy and looked into her eyes, "Are you ready?" and he paused, "Really ready for this?"

"Yes...all my life."

Kathy breathlessly said.

Dane had been stooping behind the car and slowly stood up and came from behind and past Buck who had been blocking her.

Dane spoke, "Hi Mom".

Kathy stood frozen for a moment, "Dane?...Dane...really?...it's you?" As she rushed to her daughter, they embraced and Dane said, "It's me Mom, it's really me."

Kathy held Dane as if to never let go. "I can't believe it...oh how I wanted this to be real."

"It is Mom."

There wasn't a dry eye to be had until Granpa spoke up. "Where's Rory, John?"

"Oh, he's around, went for a walk upstream."

Granpa turned to girl, "Go get Rory girl" and off she went across the dam. "We have a lot to do, John where are you set up?"

"On the other side under that grove of trees."

Granpa went to the trunk with Buck and they pulled out all the boxes. Jay and Betty came over and grabbed some as well.

The group walked across the dam toward the grove of trees. Kathy had her arm around Dane and wouldn't let go. When they reached the grove, Kathy sat down next to a blanket that was spread out and pulled Dane down alongside of her.

"Dane, do you remember a time when you were picking berries by the old mill? On your way home, a woman threw a frisbee at you and girl came and grabbed it and then pulled you toward the meadow?"

She looked at her Mom and it hit her, "That was you!?"

"Yes, it was me," and she paused, "that was yesterday for me."

"But...wait, you said you were just a friend?"

"Dane, I couldn't tell you who I really was, now could I?" She looked at her Mom, "No, I suppose not." Then it hit her, "Mom, is that when I was.....killed?"

"Kathy, do you really think we should be talking about it?" said John. Jay jumped in, "Yes, we need to establish the point of paradox and this is it. Dane was killed and Mom changed that and this is the point of origin for the paradox as Mom and Rory know it." Jay turned to his mother in law, "Go on Mom."

Kathy looked at Dane, "Sweetheart, ...yes, when girl pulled you with the frisbee, she pulled you enough to get out of the way of a car. I don't know if you remember but as she was pulling you, a car came around the bend and just missed hitting you. In my time, it didn't miss."

"So I would have been killed then and you stopped it." Kathy responded, "Yes"

Everyone turned as they heard a holler. It was Rory looking for everyone. Granpa hollered back. Rory came running up with girl alongside of him and he stopped short and stared at Dane as he caught his breath. She rose up and said, "Hi Rory".

He slowly and cautiously walked over as if it were a dream and stopped to stare at her. He looked at her up and down as if she were a stranger. Slowly, he approached her and brushed her hair with his hand. He touched her face and looked at her from top to bottom. He looked into her azure eyes as his eyes swelled with tears. As he shook his head in amazement he slowly grabbed his little sister and hugged her. He openly wept and Dane cried with him.

"I can't believe it....I ..." and his sister said, "Shut up big brother and keep giving me a hug."

"I love you Dane and I missed you." She replied, "I love you too Rory. To me, I grew up with you."

He looked at her and said, "And to me," he paused, " ....I watched you getting buried." With that said, he hugged her tighter.

There was a moment of silence and then Buck spoke up. "Okay, we got to stop this or we are going to run out of tissues." Everyone laughed which was good to release the tension.

Buck turned to Betty, "Hi, I'm Buck and you are?"

"My name is Betty." He responded, "Hi Betty. And you are related how?"

"Oh, I am just a friend. I came to help Jay and I was told to come along."

"Well Betty, I am glad you did."

When Rory let go of his sister, he turned to Jay. Jay asked, "How much do we know about each other?"

"Well, I understand that you are my brother-in-law and that I am an uncle." Jay smiled at his friend, "yes, you are an uncle, twice. Who knows, someday," and he looked at Dane, "maybe a third time?"

Rory remembered sitting in a park some 30 years in the future and it hit him. He saw Jay standing there with a family, two girls and a boy, one of the girls was holding an infant and then it hit him, it was Dane standing there next to him as a much older woman. A mother and a grandmother.

"Yeah Jay, maybe a third time and maybe it will be a boy this time."

"That would be nice, then I am sure I will be paid back for all I did to my Dad." Rory looked at his Dad and back to Jay and they both laughed with John throwing out a few comments.

Meanwhile, Dane and Kathy were busy talking and looking at photos. Jay picked up an album and sat down with Rory and started going through them and telling him all about what was in the pictures. He talked to him about their college days. How they worked on different ideas. They found there wasn't much difference except for Dane. How he came home on holidays with him and how he fell in love with his sister and how he was against it, afterall, it was his little sister.

"Was I really that bad?"asked Rory. Jay looked at him, shook his head and just said, "Yep, you were....and probably worse."

Rory looked at his sister and back to Jay, "well, I can be wrong sometimes you know."

"Yeah, you can." answered Jay.

Uncle Buck and Betty went for a walk across the dam and disappeared. Granpa was sitting with girl down by the edge of the creek while he periodically fed her treats.

"Rory, did you get the note off of girls collar?" He reached into his pocket and said "yep" and he opened to read it.

How's it going kiddo?
This is going to work but with a bit of a twist. I am here at the farm operating the machine.

The obvious hit Rory, "I didn't realize who the hell was operating the portal till just now. Buck is there? Who is helping Buck?"

"Well, he is there with Betty, older Betty and as I stepped through the portal....you came through the door."

"Me?"

"I only know one Rory P Viaggio. I don't think you expected me to turn around so at some point in your future, your going to help out with all this mess which means, whatever we do, will work out. But then, we aren't new to paradoxes, are we? We will just wait for it to happen and not worry about it". Rory replied, "Agreed." He continued to read the note.

This is all going to work out but at this point, you will just have to go along with some good conversation and some food but there will be one more thing that needs to be done. When the time comes, you will find out, so you will have to be patient. All your conversation and getting to know each other is paramount to this working out.

We are not done yet kiddo. Use your gut for now, talk and get to know each other and don't worry about Granpa and myself, we are good at keeping secrets. As Pop says, family, you do what you have to do.

I don't need to tell you to avoid people, avoid family from that timeline. You don't need to run into your Mom or Dad or even yourself or anyone for that matter.

Use your head, get it screwed back on if it is off. The paradox as you know it is done. Deal with learning about the new timeline as much as you can, it will make things easier down the road. And most of all, keep your Mom in all the conversations. Hear me well, don't leave your Mom out no matter how insignificant.

And one more thing, the portal is going to open at the old mill about a hundred yards down the spillway toward the dam at the fence line between the two fields. Tell Jay that I will keep it open until he comes through. I am going to reset for the return for noon on Monday your time. That should give everyone twenty four hours to get to know each other. Jay, Dane and Betty will have to come back.
And another thing, tell Betty not to worry about work, my Betty is going to call her off work for the week, they will never know the difference.

Buck

Rory folded up the note and put it in his pocket. As he did this, he looked around and watched his Mom sitting with Dane and his Dad and for the first time, in a very long time, an aire of peace was with his Mom. He turned to Jay and facing the ground, "I'm glad it was you."

"Excuse me?" replied Jay. Still staring at the ground, Rory continued, "I'm glad it was you that ended up with Dane. I'm glad your the father to my nieces. I'm glad you are part of my family." He raised his head and just nodded and smiled at his friend.

Jay was for a moment, at a loss for words.

"So, I used to call you V."

Rory gave a chuckle and replied, "Yeah. We decided on your middle initial and my nickname from school on the first day we met in our dorm."

"Well, when we first met as I remember," continued Jay, " You were R1 and I was R2 which was shortened to just one or two which was done by our friends. For awhile, you were called prime and I was deuce. Just a minor difference in the scheme of this. It was Dane that started calling me by my middle name. The first day she met me she asked what my middle name was and I told her. It ended up being that with her and everyone else just started using it. After a while it just ended up with you being Rory and I being Jay."

"These are the little differences that could be critical." stated Rory.

Jay continued, "I have been thinking about it. I don't know. It is not like the shock I experienced when I saw myself. We are just talking about small things when we talk about names. They are not directive for an outcome. Follow me," as he paused for effect, "Did the fact that you were called by a different name in your timeline than mine alter the outcome of the machine we built? Or your going back to save Granpa? Or even Buck going 30 years into the future? These all happened on both our timelines and they are paradox setting events but they happened regardless of Dane. You and I still followed a path, the only difference is that your sister and I married and had children. That is the qualifying event that is the paradox, from yours and Moms point of view."

Rory had a stick in his hand and was pushing around the dirt.

"The real monumental feat will be bringing you and Mom up to speed as far as Dane's interaction. All those moments in time where she was included and that is where the hard part sits in this mess."

He continued, "Look Rory, we did it all the same as far as we are concerned. There may be little differences but those are the things we forget from day to day. Can you remember every little thing from a month ago....in explicit detail? No, you can't and I believe that is not what is going to matter in the end. Those things are nothing more than lost memory or simple, oops, I forgot moments."

Rory interjected, "Then what you are saying is that we need to focus on just those events that would be critical. Not necessarily small decisions but those that are life changing to start with?"

"Exactly" Jay responded. Continuing, "I believe that all we need to do is to figure all the nexus points that the memory retains strongest. Holidays, birthdays, first dates, prom, injuries, hospital visits. Things that are stand out points. I am not saying it isn't going to be difficult. What I am saying is that I think it will be monumental and we are bound to miss something.....probably a good amount."
About that time girl came up from the creek where she had been with Granpa and came next to Rory and shook causing a spray of water.

"Granpa!" exclaimed Rory, "Why did you let her go in the water?"

As he slowly approached him he said, "Cause she wanted to. I'm hungry, let's eat."

Rory and Jay stood up and the trio walked toward the food with girl in the lead.

"What do you say we take a moment to eat some of that picnic you brought?"

Kathy said, "Good idea", and she opened the box of food. They sat down and started eating and talking at which Granpa interjected, "How about we limit the conversation to just from our lives up until yesterday. Let's just remember those times."

"Granpa", said Dane,"As of yesterday, I was only 9 years old." He looked at his granddaughter, "Yep, that's right and I don't want to know too much beyond that. This is Sunday dinner and your nine Dane.
"
Jay couldn't resist, "Boy, did I rob the cradle." at which point Rory said, "you sit over here away from my little sister, she's too young for you."

The afternoon continued with two parts of the whole getting to know each other.

Buck and Betty went for a walk down the road that led back to the mill.

"I suppose that you must be some kind of technical person if your hanging around with my nephew and Jay."

"You could say that." she paused, "I am not too sure how much I can say or how much I can't."

"Well Betty, I am pretty good at keeping secrets, not only is that my job but I know too much about the future already. I know about the past which will be Rory's future. Secrets, too many of them."

"Still, I think I should choose my words carefully." replied Betty.

The two strolled down the road along the millrace. They talked about all things and slowly found that they had much in common with each other. An hour had passed and they found themselves in a discussion about dark matter. Of course Betty had the upper hand in that she came from a time where they were working on the drive system along with the Oort generator. After a while, she just let it go. She was afraid of causing that paradox thing and there were too many of those at the moment.

Their conversations went across the spectrum of topics until Buck's belly rumbled. Betty commented on it and the two decided they were hungry and best to get back to the others and get a bite to eat.
When they arrived, they found the others were pretty much done eating so they went over and helped themselves. They sat down next to each other and watched the others and the conversation taking place and for the first time in a long while, Buck was happy.

It was getting late in the afternoon and Granpa mentioned that he and Buck needed to get back to the farm. They gathered their stuff and packed up and loaded the car. Buck drove them all back to the Motel. When they arrived, they all piled out and unloaded the boxes and went into the room. As they went in, Buck turned to Betty.

"There is a movie playing in town at the Colonial, The Magnificent Seven. Would you like to go with me?"

Betty chuckled and replied, "Well Buck, I think I just saw that a few weeks ago on TV."

He felt a bit chagrined. Betty saw it in his face and realized that to him, it was new and she immediately wished she hadn't said anything.

"I'm sorry Buck, to me, it is an old movie but you know what? I never saw it in a theatre on a large screen. I would love to go on one condition." Buck looked quizzically at Betty not knowing what to expect. "You buy the popcorn, I don't have any money I can spend in this time." He looked into her green eyes and saw the smile in them, "of course I will. What's a movie without popcorn."

The two walked in and told the others and then Granpa brought Buck back to reality.

"Buck, you have to get me home first." Buck looked at his Dad and said, "I will just drop you off at the driveway." Granpa muttered, "kids". He turned to the others, "I'll be back at about 11 tomorrow to take you to the portal. He turned to Kathy and hugged his daughter-in-law,"I love you girl and we will get you home but for now, I have to go see you and eat your dinner or you will be angry with me."

"I was never angry with you Dad, frustrated at times but never angry.....maybe a bit exasperated." Granpa cut her off with a smile, "okay, I get the idea. Let's go Buck." The three walked out and left the others to catch up on 20 years of life.

As they walked out the door Kathy turned to the others, "I almost slipped and said that I missed him when he went to Alaska."

Rory turned and looked at his Mom, "At this point, I don't think he went to Alaska and when he finally came home and went to the the rehab, well, I think it was all planned so that he would be there when I came back from 1938."

Jay looked at his friend, "What the hell are you talking about?"

"I don't know Jay but I would bet that he and that crazy uncle of mine are up to no good."

"Which version?" asked Jay. Rory replied, "All of them."

Buck and Betty had a good time and he dropped her off at the Motel and got another room so that she could be alone and not up with the others. The following morning came and the group had breakfast from the food in the refrigerator. Everyone shared their food with girl. Betty walked to the restaurant nearby and got coffee. It was decided for her to go for she was the least expected to run into anyone that she would know. When she arrived, she found Buck there eating breakfast. Buck helped her with the coffee and drove her back to the room. When they arrived, the others were surprised to see him.

"Thought you weren't coming till 11 with Granpa?" asked Rory.

"Well, I figured you would want coffee and I just happened to run into Betty but then, I figured she would be there at some point cause since I gave her the money to buy it."

Rory looked at his uncle and just smiled and shook his head. His mind drifted to a point in time, 30 years from his perspective where Buck would be with Betty and he wondered if this is where it started. He then began to wonder how much of his life was affected by the machine he and Jay built. He was brought back to reality by Jay asking him a question.

"What?" he asked.

"Never mind, just go back to your coffee stirring." and everyone had a good laugh at his expense. Rory just wasn't sure what the expense was.

The atmosphere was one of family as if there were no separation of time let alone a paradox but Kathy knew, in her heart, that they would have to go back without her and she was beginning to view it as another loss. John saw this in her face.

"Kathy, they have to go back for now. What you are forgetting is that even if they are gone for a week, they can come here an hour after they leave."

She looked at her husband and nodded her head, "but I just got her back." He put his arm around her and whispered in her ear, "And I would bet you will have her for a long time." Kathy looked at her husband and said, "You had her as she was growing up, I didn't."

"Yes you did, as far as I am concerned. I remember you being there. From the moment Dane came home from picking berries, you were there. For some reason, you wanted to go back to get some of those berries or something. Rory said he would take you there. That is what I remember."

The ringing of the phone brought everyone back to the moment. John answered it.

"Hello?"

"John, Buck there?" it was Granpa. "yeah, he's here."

"Okay, tell him not to forget about picking me up. On second thought, forget it. I am going to walk down to the old mill and meet you there."

Rory stepped through the door of the shop just in time to see Jay going through the portal and they made eye contact. Rory turned to his Uncle, "Well, there is something fulfilled from the past."

"What's that?" asked Buck.

"Jay is going to tell me that I stepped into the shop as he stepped through."

Buck replied with a simple, "Oh".

"Okay kiddo, get to work and get the coordinates for setting up the portal down by the old mill." Buck opened up a map and pointed to a spot. "This is where I told them to go. I said we would open the portal at noon their time."

"Okay Uncle Buck, let me get to work on it." Rory went over to his place. He paused for a moment. "Geez, I almost forgot what it was like to work in this old shop. I can't believe how accurate we were in setting up the coordinates using slide rules and a calculator. Man, we sure came a long way. Imagine trying to do the jumps we do now, we could end up in the middle of a star."

"Yeah, you did come a long way but you have to do it this way for now, you couldn't bring your computer here through the portal and they need to return here." stated Betty.

"I know that," and he paused for effect, "....Aunt Betty." That earned him a reply, "but remember...my birthday is after yours."

Rory smiled at her and got to work. Buck went out to check the tractors and the generators, Betty went with him.

After about 30 minutes went by, Buck and Betty came back in and Rory was finishing up with entering the coordinates and frequencies into the waveform generators.

Rory laid it out. "We are going to need to run two of the generators so that you can keep the portal open for an extended period. They will need time to carry the boxes back through the portal and we need to be sure they have the time to get there. This will reduce the load by spreading it out. It will give power enough to maintain the portal for several minutes if you need to. Are you going to be okay with that?"

Betty looked at Rory, "In case you forgot, in my younger years I ran this machine with you and Jay, I know what she will need to get through this."

"Let's run her up and make sure the portal opens where it is supposed to for the pickup." added Buck.

Buck then went out and ran up the one tractor for the test and started another one for the actual jump. As Buck came back in, he saw Betty and Rory were waiting for him. "Go for it." is all he said.

Rory and Betty started setting up for the standing wave and they engaged the charging of the banks.
After a few moments, "We have a stable standing wave Rory." said Betty.

"Here we go, engaging the banks in 3, 2, 1, ...engaging"

The tractor barely stumbled as the power drain loaded down the generator. Rory watched his old machine and felt a nostalgia come over him. He remembered the first real jump back in time to get his Grandpa out from under a tractor and how he and girl went there. He thought about girl and how he left her back with the kids. He wished how he would have brought her along. He was brought back to reality as the field next to the mill appeared.

"Looks like we have it." said Buck.

"Yeah, you don't need me anymore. I need to go and get back. I have about 15 minutes until you open the portal for me to get home."

Betty said to Rory, "Have I ever let you down before?"

"No, you are always on time my good lady." She smiled and told him to get out as she closed the portal. She turned to Buck as Rory walked through the door, "Well, are you ready to open up the portal for the others?"

"Yeah, .....let's do it." Buck went out and brought the second tractor up to PTO speed and engaged it's generator so that two were now feeding the machine with power.
Betty compensated for the time difference and shifted the opening for two hours later than the test. She entered the frequencies into the waveform generators and began to start the process.

"We have a stable standing wave." she exclaimed.

Buck replied, "Charging the banks...dear." She looked at him and smiled. He looked at her and said, "And I still love your green eyes." Betty shook her head and said, "Concentrate on what you are doing." Buck replied, "I am."

Buck looked back at the console, "in 3, 2, 1....engaging the bank."

And they saw the field as the group approached the portal.

Everyone showed up at the old mill early. They had about 15 minutes till the portal was scheduled to open. The group walked to the fenceline that the note mentioned and sat down all the boxes. Rory sat down with girl alongside him and he stroked her back with his arm around her.

"Guess your going back girl, " as he reached into his pocket and withdrew a snack for her which she enthusiastically took. "Dane will take good care of you till I get back." She turned her head to his and licked his cheek and nuzzled his neck playfully. He was brought back to reality with the distinctive sound of the portal forming.

Buck and Betty were to the side talking. She was carrying the box that the Buck from the future gave her.

"Betty, why don't you stay? It won't be long until they come back, it will be longer on the other side."

"I don't know Buck, I have work to get to." She paused for a moment, "Look, I have a feeling this box was for you and that this is the moment." She handed him the box and he opened it. Inside was a bottle of wine and a note. He opened the note and started to read it and then handed it to Betty. "Looks like it is for you." with that, he handed it to Betty.

Betty opened the note and recognized the handwriting as her own.

Well what do you know, looks like your standing in front of the portal to come home. Buck asked you to stay. Go ahead, no paradox will happen, and I will call you off work.
We had a great time but you have yet to enjoy it.

"Looks like I just told myself to stay." With that said, the sound of the portal opening was heard.

Everyone picked up a box and carried them to the edge of the portal. The static was immense coming from it. Rory commented to Jay, "Feels like Buck is running the hell out of the generators for some reason."

"Well, he needs to hold it open as we carry the boxes through." answered Jay. With that said, he grabbed a box and carried it through and came back out. "Yep, he's got two tractors running to hold the power drain and spread out the load." As he grabbed another box and carried it through. John grabbed one and went through as well and they both came back out.

Rory commented to Jay, "Well, so far so good, you came back without a headache."

"Well, I had a little one on this but nothing I can't handle."

Jay walked over to Dane, "We have to go, sweetheart." She turned and nodded her head.

"I have to go Mom, I'll be back." Kathy looked at her daughter and her eyes became misty. "I know....I know....I'll be here waiting."

"It will be soon....promise."

Jay commented, "Sooner than you think, be back here in about ......oh....fifteen minutes."

Kathy said,"Really?"

"Yeah Mom, we do have a time machine and can come back here whenever we want. Just don't want to run into ourselves coming or going."

Jay turned to Betty, "Are you ready?" She looked at Buck, "No, I think I will wait on this side."

Jay turned to his wife, "Lets go hon." with that, Jay and Dane walked to the portal. Jay turned to Rory,"Might as well keep girl here with you. No sense of her going back cause we will be back real soon."

The two walked through the portal as Rory and the the others watched the shards close in and the diameter shrink down with the distinctive increase in frequency and as it came to a point, they all heard the sound of distant thunder.

Buck and Betty watched as Jay and Dane came through the portal. Jay's first words were, "Okay, what now, I know you have a plan."

Buck looked at Dane and answered, "You go and get your kids from your Aunt. It is still only Saturday, you only left a short time ago."

"But we told her that we wouldn't be there until Sunday." said Dane.

"Oh well, plans change. You are going to get them and then they are going for a ride to see their Mom Mom."
Jay and Dane headed for the door and all Buck heard from him was, "Right" and the door slammed shut.
With that Betty put her arms around Buck's neck. "So, what do we do while they are gone?"

"First, we go and shut down the generators and let the tractors cool down. Then, want to go up in the hay mow again?"

"What's it been? About 25 years since we did that?" asked Betty.

"I guess it has been awhile." With that the two went out and shut down the generators and when they were done, they headed for the barn.

Dane and Jay made record time in going to pick up their kids. As soon as they got home they went into the house with the girls.
"Okay Rose, I want you to go and pack a bag of things you want. I don't care what you pack but I want them to be something you find special. Things that maybe your Mom Mom got you."

"Why Mommy?"

"Because we are going to see Mom Mom, some place special. She wants you to come and visit her where she is and Uncle Rory is with her too."

Jay was busy looking for more things to take back through the portal and Clara was asleep from the car ride so he just put her down on the couch.

The back door opened and Buck and Betty came through. Jay went out to the kitchen when he heard the door and greeted them. He told them that Dane was upstairs with Rose and they were getting things together to take back and show Kathy. As he was talking, he stopped and looked at Betty. He cocked his head and reached into her hair and pulled out some hay.

"And where were the two of you for the past hour?" said Jay.

Betty put her arms around Buck's neck and looked straight at Jay, "And just what would you be implying?"

Jay shook his head, "Nothing....I forgot....your married. I've been in that hay mow too you know." Jay glanced at Buck and gave him a wink.

"I saw that Jay....better make that two winks, you took so long in getting back."

"Okay, I don't need to hear this."

Dane came down the steps and asked, "Hear what?" Jay looked at Rose standing behind his wife and said, "Uh...that Buck didn't start the tractors to warm up."

"That's not what it sounded like to me," and she looked down at Rose, "but I suppose I misunderstood. Rose, go get what ever your Mom Mom gave to Clara that is special to her."

"Okay Mommy." and off she went to rummage around.

"Get your stuff together Jay and then you and Dane bring the girls over to the shop. Betty and I will go get things ready."

Buck and Betty left and went over to the shop. In a short while, Jay heard the big John Deere's starting up. The sound of them running only made him feel more anxious to get going.
"Let's go Dane," as he went and picked up Clara. Dane took hold of Rose's hand and as they went through the back door, they looked like they were moving with all they were carrying.
As they came through the shop door, Jay saw Buck and Betty working at the console and getting the waveform generators set. He walked over to the portal and placed everything down in a pile and Dane brought her load over and set it down. Jay set Clara down on a stool and she was looking around and asked for Mom Mom. "Soon honey, we will see her soon." replied Dane.

"Are we ready Buck?"

"Yep, waveform generators are building to a stable standing wave now, any second ......and now. Banks are charging and are almost there."

"Mommy" as Rose tugged on Dane's sleeve, "Mommy"

"Yes Rose"

"That is the lady with Uncle Buck. She gave me pudding."

"I know sweetie."

Jay was nervously anticipating the jump and he looked at Dane and he could tell she was anxious as well.

"Get ready you two." shouted out Betty, "Charge is almost there."

Buck added, "Standing wave is stable. I will hold the portal to give you time to get everything through."

Jay looked at the banks and saw the shimmer and knew it was soon and at that, he heard Buck, "get ready in 3, 2, 1....engaging the bank!"

Jay watched the portal engage and the shards go towards the center and dance and then they pulled back accompanied by a strong odor of ozone. He saw the field and there was Rory, Mom and Granpa with girl watching the portal.

Jay and Dane went through the portal taking their stuff. Jay came back and got some more and came back again.

"Buck, when should we come back?"

"Well, it should be about 12:30 or so there so how about 8? That should give more than enough time for the girls to meet their Mom Mom and their Uncle."
"Okay, 8 it is. Come on girls."

Jay grabbed each girl by the hand and said. "See....there is your Mom Mom, let's go get her."

Rory heard the distinctive sound of the portal forming. Granpa was busy looking at the soil in the adjacent field and he ran over just as the portal formed. Girl was with him and she followed and stood there staring at the portal.

Jay and Dane stepped through carrying all sorts of stuff to include toys. Dane came over to her Mom.

"See Mom, told you it wouldn't be long."

Jay went back through to grab some more stuff.
Dane watched Jay as he went back through the portal, "You have some little girls that want to see you."

Kathy stood there with shock, amazement and anticipation on her face. Jay came back through and set down the last of his load and went back into the portal. A few minutes passed which seemed like an eternity.

All of a sudden, two little girls burst through the portal and ran to Kathy hollering, "Mom Mom" and Kathy fell to her knees. Two little girls ran into her arms and all but knocked her over.
Jay caught up to the duo, "Boy those girls can move when they want to." Dane looked at him and said, "You just finding that out?"

The two stood there and watched a grandmother unite for the first time, unbeknownst to the two little girls.

"Let me see you", as Kathy pulled back from the girls.

"Mom Mom," asked Rose, "why are you crying?" "Because I am so happy to see you, it has been.....a long time coming."

"And how are you Clara?" asked Kathy. "Good" was all Clara had to say.

Rory stood and watched his nieces greet his Mom. "What about me?" asked Rory.

"Hi Uncle Rory." replied Rose. Jay turned to Rory, "I think they missed their Mom Mom more than their Uncle."

"That's okay," he paused, "it's all about Mom. I am sure she was more in the girls lives than I was."

"Old friend, you spoiled the hell out of those girls. See that pile of toys? I bet you bought half of them and your Mom the other half."

"Spoil them you say?"

"Yeah, spoil them and I have to tell you about it all the time and so does Dane."

"Awww, I bet Pop is just as bad."

"You both are bad and so is Mom. I can't wait for the day you may have kids of your own. I will be looking to payback. Just haven't figured out how to pay back Dad."
"That, will never happen." Rory replied.

Buck and Betty came back from under the covered bridge and approached the group holding hands. Buck turned to Betty.
"Those my great nieces?"

"Yes they are." and she squeezed his hand."Let's go meet them."

They walked over and Buck just stood there. He saw his niece in the girls and he compared them to the little girl back at the farm house. He felt at peace.

Granpa spoke up. "Let's get going. We are going to have to make two trips."

He looked at Buck, "Take Dane and the girls with Kathy and Jay to the room and come back and get the rest along with girl here."

"Pop, Betty is coming home to the farm for dinner. I am sure Kathy won't mind if I bring her."

"No, I am sure she won't." With that said, Buck left to make the first trip and everyone picked up the pile of stuff and loaded it into the car.
As the car pulled away, Rory went over to Betty.

"Are you sure you know what you are doing?"

"How so?"

"I mean it looks like you and Buck are getting .....acquainted."

"I am a big girl Rory. I like him and this Buck is close to my age."

"Betty, you have to go back when the time comes, you will both be separated by 20 or more years."
"Rory, if I can have this little bit with Buck, don't take it away from me. I think I love him. I think I fell in love with him a long time ago. I just didn't want to admit it, the age difference. But here, there is none and when I go back, I will have to wait 30 years to see him. When he came through the door of the shop, I was with him. I think that means that he and I will be together when he goes forward. We both are waiting. Maybe he is falling in love with me, right here, right now and that is what we have to look forward to. He waited a long time and I will wait a long time." she paused, "Please,..... tell me what you know."

Rory looked at her. He thought about the note Buck sent him where he said they were married and he was happy and he looked at this girl. Someone who loved his Uncle and he caved in.

"When I went forward, you were there. I went for a walk and when I came back, Buck stayed with you. I saw the two of you kissing. He sent me a note before Mom and I came back. He told me he was happy. He told me you and he got married. When I was there in the future, you told me that he was going to see the stars with you. Now, how much of a spoiler have I given you?"

She looked at Rory and moved close to him and put her arms around his neck and kissed him on the cheek. She looked into his eyes and said, "Thank You. That is all I need to know this is right."

Rory looked at her face as she watched Buck pull up in his car. He saw the excitement and for the first time he was happy he built the machine. He thought how Uncle Buck always had vacation time as did Betty and afterall....he did build a time machine.

Rory, his Dad and girl got into the car and off they went to the motel. Granpa and Betty waited together.
"You falling for Buck, aren't you?" asked Granpa.

"Yes, I am."

"Far be it for me but isn't it a bit foolish? I mean you are going back to the future and he is staying here."

"I know but I believe at some point, there will be a future for us."

He looked at her and replied, "Well, you know, with the way things have been going.....I wouldn't doubt that for a moment."

Betty leaned over wrapping her arms around his one arm and put her head against it, "Thanks"

They chatted about things that were going on in the world. Betty asked questions and got a first hand view of the world in that timeline. They heard Buck coming around the bend. They walked to the road to greet him. When he stopped, they got in and went up the road and across a covered bridge on their way to Sunday supper.

Kathy was having the time of her life as she sat and talked with her granddaughters. Rory sat on the floor and watched the interaction. To the girls, this was not unusual for them, this was just Mom Mom who they hadn't seen in a week. To his Mom, this was a first. He looked at her and again watched as she looked relaxed and happy for the first time in a very long time. He realized, how could he have not thought about this on his own? He could have come back and saved Dane then he would be the only one stuck here. Mom would not be in danger. He promised his Dad before they left that he would take care of Mom. He began to feel that he let him down, he should have acted alone. Now that he saw Dane, saw his nieces, saw Jay happy and confident, he realized that this Jay was more confident and more secure than the Jay he left behind.

He thought that if he could do it all over again, he would have done this alone. His Mom would have had Dane all along and she would not have to have known what it was like to see her only daughter killed.

He was snapped back to reality as Rose came up to him with a toy. "Uncle Rory....could you fix this?"

He looked at Jay and he nodded, "She always asks you."

Rory took the toy in his hands and looked at it. "Oh, I see, ....here....all I have to do.....there, all fixed."

As she turned to leave, Jay said,"What do you say?"

"Thanks Uncle Rory."

"Your welcome sweetie." and Rory realized that all his thoughts had been wrong. He should have done this first. He should have saved Dane on his own.

Buck, Betty and Granpa pulled into the driveway at the farm. Buck turned to Betty, "Wait here, I will be right back."
Buck made a hasty trot to the house. Granpa stood alongside of the car. "You two go and do something for the afternoon. Supper should be about 5. Just make sure you are both here and not late, Kathy wouldn't like that." Betty just nodded her head.

Buck came back and jumped in the car.

"See you Pop." and he backed out of the driveway and went up the road.

Granpa shook his head and went over to the barn to do some chores. He ran into John.

"Where have you been Pop?"

"Oh, just out with Buck."

"You two are up to something, I can tell."

"Well, what ever we are up to, I can assure you that you will not get a call from the police."

John looked at his Dad as he was picking up a bale of straw, "Well, that is reassuring, I've got to bed down the heifers. How about you clean out the shoat pen?"
"Okay" and off Granpa went, to clean up the pig pen for the new shoats.

Dinner was as usual along with introductions which were a bit uneasy due to the situation. Buck and Betty had come up with a story as to how they met which satisfied the inquiries.
Betty sat at the table and observed Rory and Dane. She found it strange to be able to see Rory who just a few hours ago, talked to her about Buck and here he was, sitting at the table as a young boy. She glanced at Dane and saw this little 9 year old girl playing with her mashed potatoes who would have two little girls of her own. And then she thought how in about 20 years, she would sit at this very same table with this little girl to figure out how to get her brother and Mother back from a paradox. She was brought back to reality by Granpa.

"Want some tea?"

"Yeah...yes, please." and Granpa refilled her glass.

"So, what are you two doing after dinner?" asked Kathy

"Well, I thought we would go for a walk for a bit, maybe show Betty the animals over in the barn."

"Big date", quipped John.

"Well I remember some very similar dates you had with a certain young girl." replied Buck as he looked at Kathy and winked.

"Anyone for dessert?" and the kids all said yes. "Dane picked a big basket of wineberries yesterday and I made some tarts." Kathy got up and went into the kitchen. Buck and Betty got up and started to leave.

"Don't want dessert?" asked Kathy. "No, not tonight, thanks anyway." and Buck opened the door for Betty.
They went over to the barn and Buck was showing her the livestock. Eventually, they made their way to the hay mow and Buck turned to Betty. He looked at her and they kissed. The hay was a soft spot to land.

After awhile, Buck and Betty emerged from the barn and stopped by the tractor shed. In it was an old John Deere tractor. Buck said to Betty, "Want to see something?"

"Sure." Buck took her and showed her the dent in the hood of the tractor.

"That was put there by Rory in '38 when he saved Pop. I don't think the old man will ever remove it. I catch him at times running his hand over it. I suppose it is hard for him knowing that my nephew will save him someday when he sees him everyday here on the farm growing up. And now, we know he will even more so but after this weekend, I think it will be easier for him and for me to keep quiet. Everything in time."

He turned and looked at Betty. She looked at him and kissed him, when they pulled away, Buck said, "I know you have to go back. I wish you didn't have to."

"I have to Buck. Things are in motion that I can't tell you."

"Why? I think I am in love with you. Is that possible after just a day? It's like, ....I already know you or something that I just can't explain."

"We do." She felt a tear coming in her eye.

"What's wrong?"

"I can't tell you but you are going to meet me but younger than what I am now and you are going to be older than what you are now."

Buck looked at her and said, "You can tell me."

"I can't" and for a brief moment she thought, the hell with time, she looked at him and for the first time in her life, she saw someone who looked at her for her and she melted inside, "okay," she paused, "you are going to meet me and I won't know you but you will remember this time. There will be an age difference. We will be fast friends, good friends and there will be this...unspoken thing between us and I know now what it is. You are going to recognize me and you won't be able to say a thing. You will have to be quiet about me as you are about Rory now. You won't be able to be as we are at this moment but I do know, it will happen again."

Buck processed what she said, "Time stuff, is that it?"

"Yes......my love." and she put her lips to his and she realized that it would end soon and her heart was aching already.

7:30 was rapidly approaching and Buck knew he had to get to the Motel and get everyone back. He walked over to the house and Granpa was coming out the back door.

"You go and get them. I'll walk down to the mill and meet you there. Take Betty here with you and say you are taking her home."

"Okay Pop, see you in a bit." Betty walked in to the house and thanked Kathy and John for their hospitality she went back outside and got in Buck's car. The two of them drove off while Granpa went for a walk.

Buck pulled up to the Motel and got out. Rory came out with John.
"Are we ready to go?"

"Yes, but I think Kathy don't want the kids to go back." said John.

"I can understand," added Betty, "but we don't have a choice."

Jay came out with some boxes of stuff and Buck opened the trunk to load it. Rory and John went in and got the rest and finished loading the trunk.
Out came Kathy, Dane and the kids.

"Where we going Mommy?" asked Rose. "We have to go home and Mom Mom is going to come see us off."

"But I want her to come home." Kathy picked up Rose, "I have to stay here with Uncle Rory just a bit longer but I will be home soon, I promise."

"Promise?"
"Yes Rose, I promise."

With that, Dane, the kids, Kathy and Jay got into the car. John, Betty and Rory waited for the return trip.

It wasn't long until Buck pulled up.

Rory hollered for girl to come out of the room. Out she came and went to the car. Everyone else got in as Buck started the car.
He pulled onto the highway and headed west, back to the mill in the direction of the setting sun.

....to be continued
The thing about Inner Circles is that they are like Boxes - difficult to think outside of them.

"When the Debate is Lost, Slander is the Tool of the Loser" SOCRATES

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.”
― Søren Kierkegaard
Mikado14
Commander

Location: Located where I want to be...or not...depends on the day.

Return to Personal writings, stories, poetry etc