discussions from the past

A special place to look back and find gems that may have been overlooked.

Re: discussions from the past

Postby Linda Brown » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:01 pm

I don't know how this message actually reached me but Thank you Pilgrim for reminding me.

by Pilgrim » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:14 am

Linda, an interesting thing occurred while reading your message. I saw an image of Townsend in two separate geographical locations at (approximately?) the same time. That didn't come in until I asked myself "Why Catalina Island?"

Were there times where your father seemed to "disappear" from the island, only to reappear hours (or a day) later? Maybe he had a unique method of commuting to another work destination?

Message sent to us in March... of last year. Thank you Pilgrim. I am still grieving over the fact that I never got a chance to meet you on this side but I do feel that you are so very much with us. Linda
Linda Brown
Commander

Postby Radomir » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:31 am

My last message from him was from July and mentioned we would, in his words, "meet at the gate." I know what he meant then, but perhaps now that takes on somewhat more expansive meaning. I miss him as well. Folks just joining should take a look at all that he contributed in his all too brief time with us.
Radomir
Historian

Postby Linda Brown » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:35 pm

I thought of you Pilgrim when I got this copy of the Catalina Islander. I am going to copy just the beginning of the article because it made me think of you and Radomir too.

TWENTY-FIVE YEARS AFTER HIS DEATH, BROWN IS BEST REMEMBERED BY INVENTING THE AIR PURIFIER.
by Jim Watson

A sombre milestone in Catalina history passed when the twenty-fifth anniversary of the passing of one of the Islands most intriguing and interesting characters. A milestone that is marked now with only a headstone at the Avalon Cemetery.

Beyond the Cemeterys arching wrought iron gates, tucked away in the parks southeast corner you will find the very ordinary grave of a very extraordinary man. Here lies the body of a physicist, inventor, devoted father, beloved husband and former Avalon resident Thomas Townsend Brown whose final wish was to be buried "Next to a rock" on a very special island named Catalina.

( the article is actually a two part series.... and thats just the first part.... but he says something interesting here and I don't know why. What rock?)
Linda Brown
Commander

Postby FM No Static At All » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:07 pm

Linda Brown wrote:What rock?

Who else will know besides you?

I know that (based on what I have read) that your father was studying "rocks" in his later years, and some of that later work was referenced in petrovoltaics. Perhaps our Hobbit friend can see something there that we cannot... yet?
Fred a.k.a.
FM No Static at All

Fix America - The Patriot Way!
Whenever any form of government becomes destructive of these ends [life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness] it is the right of the people to alter or abolish it, and to institute new government...
-Thomas Jefferson (The Declaration of Independence)
FM No Static At All
Commander

Location: Ending the reign of terror called the Federal Reserve System

Postby Linda Brown » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:10 pm

I think before I freak out too much with hidden messages through the ages I need to just contact Jim Watson and ask him why he wrote that phrase. It is not something I am at all familiar with..... Dad chose to be buried beside the bench that was there but I have no memory of a rock or that Dad ever could be quoted as saying that he wanted to be buried " next to a rock" A big mystery... to show up so suddenly. We were just sent the old Ilsnader Issues last night so I have not read this two part series on my Dad published in the Islander paper.... and I have never seen that phrase/.

I do find it odd that after Radomir mentioning meeting Pilgrim at the " gate" one of the first things mentioned in the piece here is the cemetery wrought iron arched gate..... When I saw that it was as if a bell went off.... so am I supposed to be paying attention to one of Dads " rocks" I have all of them. I think.

And what do you have to add Green Eyes? Am I to pay attention to this. You were there too. Standing at that gate..... Linda
Linda Brown
Commander

Postby FM No Static At All » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:57 pm

This may seem totally off-the-wall but for some reason the thought that "next to a rock" may be a phrase that has meaning only in certain circles? Then again, only YOU can know for sure, and maybe it is not time to reveal itself. Perhaps it was an alert to you to be on the lookout for it.

Gotta go get the clothes out of the dryer! :oops:
Fred a.k.a.
FM No Static at All

Fix America - The Patriot Way!
Whenever any form of government becomes destructive of these ends [life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness] it is the right of the people to alter or abolish it, and to institute new government...
-Thomas Jefferson (The Declaration of Independence)
FM No Static At All
Commander

Location: Ending the reign of terror called the Federal Reserve System

Postby Radomir » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:45 pm

That is just wonderful that he wrote the piece commemorating your father on this anniversary.
Radomir
Historian

Previous

Return to Go With The Flow