Antonio Longoria’s Death Frequency Ray

No sides to this table. A place where anything goes. Just be polite and leave the hard core vulgarities alone, anyway, the forum won't let you post them.
Forum rules
Act like an adult, no prepubescent children, even if it means an argument but do so with a calm demeanor.

Antonio Longoria’s Death Frequency Ray

Postby LuisP » Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:37 pm

Antonio Longoria (August 14, 1890 - December 31, 1970) was a scientist born in Madrid, Spain. He received his degree in engineering and a Ph.D. in medicine. In 1911 he immigrated to the United States.

In 1936 he claimed to the “New York Times” that patents for his process for welding ferrous and nonferrous metals by his "invisible ray" (U. S. Patents Nos. 1,972,529 and 1,972,530 ) were sold for a total of $6,000,000 ( rather creatively, he seems to have promised to sell it to several parties like “Yoder Co”, “Bridgeport (Conn.) Brass Co” and even the “US Steel”).

But he was a very clever man.
He said “I have no illusions as to why my patents were bought: not to change the industrial world, but to keep it at a status quo”.

He was of the opinion that “showmanship does an inventor any harm” and so, in 1934, he was not shy from claiming to have invented a “death ray” while researching cancer cells with “high frequency radiations”.

He was terrified by his discovery, and destroyed the apparatus.

But he said this :
- “It is quite possible that someone may stumble across the particular electric wave I used,” Dr. Longoria said. “I found it accidentally myself, and I certainly am not proud of the discovery. The machine killed small animals, and it could kill human beings just as easily.”
- "The ray lies in one of the unexplored frequency bands in the vicinity of the X-ray. It kills painlessly and instantly without burning, by changing the blood to a useless substance—just as light changes silver salts in photography. But I don’t like to talk about it because it could wreck civilization. I’ll have nothing more to do with it. My hands will be clean.”
- “In California, I showed a group of scientists that the ray could kill rabbits even when the animals were encased in a thick-walled aluminum case. Later, in Cleveland, I demonstrated that the ray could kill flying pigeons from great distances of up to 4 miles.”

He always “declined to comment on reports that his ray had been suppressed by governmental request.”

For the record, President Albert Burns of the "Inventors' Congress" declared that he had seen pigeons, rabbits, dogs and cats killed at a distance by a "death ray" which "dissolved red blood corpuscles".

The inventor, said President Burns, was Dr. Antonio Longoria (TIME, July 23, 1934).

See the enlightening “Reading Eagle” article here : (http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1 ... 99,6412503)
LuisP
Commander

Return to The Round Table